Solent Centre for Digestive Diseases
Queen Alexandra Hospital
- FRCP - October 2015
- CCST(Gastroenterology & Gen Medicine) - March 2004
- M.R.C.P. (U.K) - October 1996
- M.D - December 1992
- M.B.B.S - December 1987
Prof Pradeep Bhandari is a Gastroenterologist who has super-specialised in advanced endoscopy. He has run an early cancer service at Portsmouth and received National and International referrals. His expertise is in the use of advanced endoscopic techniques and technology to make early diagnosis during and routine and screening endoscopy. He specialised in endoscopic resection of tumours avoiding complex surgery like Oesophagectomy, Gastrectomy, Whipple’s procedure and Colcetomy. He innovated various new techniques to diagnose and resect gastrointestinal neoplasia and constantly strived towards better patient outcomes. He is constantly introducing new endoscopic procedures to replace conventional surgical resections. He has been instrumental in the production of various British, NICE and European Guidelines.
- Advanced endoscopic diagnosis
- Advanced endoscopic resections.
- Bowel disease
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Gastrointestinal surgery
|2014||Director of National Endoscopy Training Centre, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth.|
|2013-2016||Treasurer of British Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy|
|2016-2019 & 2009-2012||Specialist Advisor to National Institute of clinical excellence (NICE) on endoscopic interventions.|
|2009||Specialist Advisor to Health Technology Assessment (HTA) a Department of Health Research Grants body|
|Nominated core member of the National endoscopy research committee (Research arm of the British society of Gastroenterology)|
|2011||Associate Editor of Digestive Endoscopy Journal|
Current Research Activities
One of the six Core members of the National endoscopy Research forum: This forum advises British society of Gastroenetrology (DOH, CRN, Welcome foundation, Reseach Charities) on the key national priorities for research. We facilitate multicentre research, advise individual investigators on research methodology and grants and provide expert advice.
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- ASGE Crystal award for best International research - DDW 2016; San Diego.
- Barbour Freeland Award from Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh) for significant contribution to Endoscopic innovations and Research. RCP (Edinburgh) - 2015
- Hopkins Endoscopy award by British Society of Gastroenterology for significant contribution to UK Endoscopy - BSG 2012
- ASGE Crystal award for Best International endoscopy research - DDW 2013
- AGA Crystal award for Best International Patient friendly research - DDW 2011
- Repici A, Ciscato C, Correale L, Bisschops R, Bhandari P, Dekker E, Pech O, Radaelli F, Hassan C. Narrow-band imaging international colorectal endoscopic classification to predict polyp histology: REDEFINE (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc. 2016 Feb 26. pii: S0016-5107(16)00170-X. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2016.02.020. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chedgy FJ, Kandiah K, Thayalasekaran S, Subramaniam S, Bhandari P. Advances in the endoscopic diagnosis and treatment of Barrett's neoplasia. F1000Res. 2016 Jan28;5. pii: F1000 Faculty Rev-113. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.6996.1. eCollection 2016. Review.
- Subramaniam S, Kandiah K, Bhandari P. CO 2 insufflation or warm water infusion for unsedated colonoscopy: A randomized controlled trial in patients with chronic constipation in China. Saudi J Gastroenterol. 2016 Jan-Feb;22(1):1-2.
- Chedgy FJ, Bhattacharyya R, Kandiah K, Longcroft-Wheaton G, Bhandari P. Knife-assisted snare resection: a novel technique for resection of scarred polyps in the colon. Endoscopy. 2016 Mar;48(3):277-80
- Haidry RJ, Lipman G, Banks MR, Butt MA, Sehgal V, Graham D, Dunn JM, Gupta A, Sweis R, Miah H, Morris D, Smart HL, Bhandari P, Willert R, Fullarton G, Morris J, Di Pietro M, Gordon C, Penman I, Barr H, Patel P, Boger P, Kapoor N, Mahon B, Hoare J, Narayanasamy R, O'Toole D, Cheong E, Direkze NC, Ang Y, Veitch A, Dhar A, Nyalender D, Ragunath K, Leahy A, Fullard M, Rodriguez-Justo M, Novelli M, Lovat LB. Reply to Kristo et al. Endoscopy. 2016 Jan;48(1):93.
- Basford P, Longcroft-Wheaton G, Bhandari P. ASGE Technology Committee reviews on real-time endoscopic assessment of the histology of diminutive colorectal polyps, and high-definition and high-magnification endoscopes. Gastrointest Endosc. 2015 Dec;82(6):1139-40
- Chiu PW, Phee SJ, Bhandari P, Sumiyama K, Ohya T, Wong J, Poon CC, Tajiri H,Nakajima K, Ho KY. Enhancing proficiency in performing endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) by using a prototype robotic endoscope. Endosc Int Open. 2015 Oct;3(5):E439-42.
- Longcroft-Wheaton G, Bhandari P. Electronic chromoendoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc. 2015 Oct;82(4):765
- Pimentel-Nunes P, Dinis-Ribeiro M, Ponchon T, Repici A, Vieth M, De Ceglie A, Amato A, Berr F, Bhandari P, Bialek A, Conio M, Haringsma J, Langner C, Meisner S, Messmann H, Morino M, Neuhaus H, Piessevaux H, Rugge M, Saunders BP, Robaszkiewicz M, Seewald S, Kashin S, Dumonceau JM, Hassan C, Deprez PH. Endoscopic submucosal dissection: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline. Endoscopy. 2015 Sep;47(9):829-54.
- Haidry RJ, Lipman G, Banks MR, Butt MA, Sehgal V, Graham D, Dunn JM, Gupta A, Sweis R, Miah H, Morris D, Smart HL, Bhandari P, Willert R, Fullarton G, Morris J, Di Pietro M, Gordon C, Penman I, Barr H, Patel P, Boger P, Kapoor N, Mahon B, Hoare J, Narayanasamy R, O'Toole D, Cheong E, Direkze NC, Ang Y, Veitch A, Dhar A, Nyalender D, Ragunath K, Leahy A, Fullard M, Rodriguez-Justo M, Novelli M, Lovat LB. Comparing outcome of radiofrequency ablation in Barrett's with high grade dysplasia and intramucosal carcinoma: a prospective multicenter UK registry. Endoscopy. 2015 Nov;47(11):980-7.
- Rutter MD, Chattree A, Barbour JA, Thomas-Gibson S, Bhandari P, Saunders BP, Veitch AM, Anderson J, Rembacken BJ, Loughrey MB, Pullan R, Garrett WV, Lewis G, Dolwani S. British Society of Gastroenterology/Association of Coloproctologists of Great Britain and Ireland guidelines for the management of large non-pedunculated colorectal polyps. Gut. 2015 Dec;64(12):1847-73.
- Bennett C, Moayyedi P, Corley DA, DeCaestecker J, Falck-Ytter Y, Falk G, Vakil N, Sanders S, Vieth M, Inadomi J, Aldulaimi D, Ho KY, Odze R, Meltzer SJ, Quigley E, Gittens S, Watson P, Zaninotto G, Iyer PG, Alexandre L, Ang Y, Callaghan J, Harrison R, Singh R, Bhandari P, Bisschops R, Geramizadeh B, Kaye P, Krishnadath S, Brian Fennerty M, Manner H, Nason KS, Pech O, Konda V, Ragunath K, Rahman I, Romero Y, Sampliner R, Siersema PD, Tack J, Tham TC, Trudgill N,Weinberg DS, Wang J, Wang K, Wong JY, Attwood S, Malfertheiner P, MacDonald D, Barr H, Ferguson MK, Jankowski J; BOB CAT Consortium. Addendum: BOB CAT: A Large-Scale Review and Delphi Consensus for Management of Barrett's Esophagus With No Dysplasia, Indefinite for, or Low-Grade Dysplasia. Am J Gastroenterol. 2015 Jun;110(6):943.
- Bennett C, Moayyedi P, Corley DA, DeCaestecker J, Falck-Ytter Y, Falk G, Vakil N, Sanders S, Vieth M, Inadomi J, Aldulaimi D, Ho KY, Odze R, Meltzer SJ, Quigley E, Gittens S, Watson P, Zaninotto G, Iyer PG, Alexandre L, Ang Y, Callaghan J, Harrison R, Singh R, Bhandari P, Bisschops R, Geramizadeh B, Kaye P, Krishnadath S, Fennerty MB, Manner H, Nason KS, Pech O, Konda V, Ragunath K,Rahman I, Romero Y, Sampliner R, Siersema PD, Tack J, Tham TC, Trudgill N, Weinberg DS, Wang J, Wang K, Wong JY, Attwood S, Malfertheiner P, MacDonald D, Barr H, Ferguson MK, ankowski J; BOB CAT Consortium. BOB CAT: A Large-Scale Review and Delphi Consensus for Management of Barrett's Esophagus With No Dysplasia, Indefinite for, or Low-Grade Dysplasia. Am J Gastroenterol. 2015 May;110(5):662-82.
- Longcroft-Wheaton G, Bhandari P. Advanced endoscopic therapeutics in Barrett's neoplasia: where are we now and where are we heading? Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015 May;9(5):543-5.
- Hassan C, Repici A, Sharma P, Correale L, Zullo A, Bretthauer M, Senore C, Spada C, Bellisario C, Bhandari P, Rex DK. Efficacy and safety of endoscopic resection of large colorectal polyps: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Gut. 2015 Feb 13. pii: gutjnl-2014-308481. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2014-308481. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bhattacharyya R, Longcroft-Wheaton G, Bhandari P. The role of acetic acid in the management of Barrett's oesophagus. Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol. 2015 Jun;39(3):282-91.
- Ross-Innes CS, Debiram-Beecham I, O'Donovan M, Walker E, Varghese S, Lao-Sirieix P, Lovat L, Griffin M, Ragunath K, Haidry R, Sami SS, Kaye P, Novelli M, Disep B, Ostler R, Aigret B, North BV, Bhandari P, Haycock A, Morris D, Attwood S, Dhar A, Rees C, Rutter MD, Sasieni PD, Fitzgerald RC; BEST2 Study Group. Evaluation of a minimally invasive cell sampling device coupled with assessment of trefoil factor 3 expression for diagnosing Barrett's esophagus: a multi-center case-control study. PLoS Med. 2015 Jan 29;12(1)
- Longcroft-Wheaton G, Bhandari P. Endoscopic resection of submucosal tumors. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015 May;9(5):659-69.
- Haidry RJ, Butt MA, Dunn JM, Gupta A, Lipman G, Smart HL, Bhandari P, Smith L, Willert R, Fullarton G, Di Pietro M, Gordon C, Penman I, Barr H, Patel P, Kapoor N, Hoare J, Narayanasamy R, Ang Y, Veitch A, Ragunath K, Novelli M, Lovat LB; UK RFA Registry. Improvement over time in outcomes for patients undergoing endoscopic therapy for Barrett's oesophagus-related neoplasia: 6-year experience from the first 500 patients treated in the UK patient registry. Gut. 2015 Aug;64(8):1192-9.
- Callaghan JL, Longcroft-Wheaton G, Fowell AJ, Ellis RD, Bhandari P, Goggin PM. A novel technique for peroral direct cholangioscopy. Endoscopy. 2014;46
- Chedgy FJ, Bhattacharyya R, Bhandari P. Endoscopic submucosal dissection for symptomatic esophageal cavernous hemangioma. Gastrointest Endosc. 2015 Apr;81(4):998.
- Longcroft-Wheaton G, Bhandari P. Bowel cleansing for colonoscopy: is same-day preparation the way ahead? Dig Endosc. 2014 Nov;26(6):707-8.
- Longcroft-Wheaton G, Brown J, Cowlishaw D, Higgins B, Bhandari P. High-definition vs. standard-definition endoscopy with indigo carmine for the in vivo diagnosis of colonic polyps. United European Gastroenterol J. 2013 Dec;1(6):425-9.
- Tholoor S, Bhattacharyya R, Tsagkournis O, Longcroft-Wheaton G, Bhandari P.Acetic acid chromoendoscopy in Barrett's esophagus surveillance is superior to the standardized random biopsy protocol: results from a large cohort study (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2014 Sep;80(3):417-24.
- Longcroft-Wheaton G, Bhandari P. A review of image-enhanced endoscopy in the evaluation of colonic polyps. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014 Mar;8(3):267-81.
- Endoscopic resection of sporadic duodenal adenomas: comparison of endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) with hybrid endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) techniques and the risks of late delayed bleeding.
- Basford PJ, George R, Nixon E, Chaudhuri T, Mead R, Bhandari P.
- Surg Endosc. 2014 Jan 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- British Society of Gastroenterology guidelines on the diagnosis and management of Barrett's oesophagus. Fitzgerald RC, di Pietro M, Ragunath K, Ang Y, Kang JY, Watson P, Trudgill N, Patel P, Kaye PV, Sanders S, O'Donovan M, Bird-Lieberman E, Bhandari P, Jankowski JA, Attwood S, Parsons SL, Loft D, Lagergren J, Moayyedi P, Lyratzopoulos G, de Caestecker J; Gut. 2014 Jan;63(1):7-42
- High-definition endoscopy with i-Scan for evaluation of small colon polyps: the HiSCOPE study. Basford PJ, Longcroft-Wheaton G, Higgins B, Bhandari P. Gastrointest Endosc. 2013 Jul 17. pii: S0016-5107(13)02078-6. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2013.06.013. [Epub ahead of print]
- Risk stratification system for evaluation of complex polyps can predict outcomes of endoscopic mucosal resection. Loncroft-Wheaton G, Duku M, Mead R, Basford P, Bhandari P. Dis Colon Rectum. 2013 Aug;56(8):960-6.
- Duration of acetowhitening as a novel objective tool for diagnosing high risk neoplasia in Barrett's esophagus: a prospective cohort trial. Loncroft-Wheaton G, Brown J, Basford P, Cowlishaw D, Higgins B, Bhandari P. Endoscopy. 2013 Jun;45(6):426-32.
- Radiofrequency ablation and endoscopic mucosal resection for dysplastic barrett's esophagus and early esophageal adenocarcinoma: outcomes of the UK National Halo RFA Registry. Haidry RJ, Dunn JM, Butt MA, Burnell MG, Gupta A, Green S, Miah H, Smart HL, Bhandari P, Smith LA, Willert R, Fullarton G, Morris J, Di Pietro M, Gordon C, Penman I, Barr H, Patel P, Boger P, Kapoor N, Mahon B, Hoare J, Narayanasamy R, O'Toole D, Cheong E, Direkze NC, Ang Y, Novelli M, Banks MR, Lovat LB. Gastroenterology. 2013 Jul;145(1):87-95
- Surgery versus radical endotherapies for early cancer and high-grade dysplasia in Barrett's oesophagus. Bennett C, Green S, Decaestecker J, Almond M, Barr H, Bhandari P, Ragunath K, Singh R, Jankowski J. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012Nov 14;11:CD007334
- Common variants at the MHC locus and at chromosome 16q24.1 predispose to Barrett's esophagus. Su Z, Gay LJ, Strange A, Palles C, Band G, Whiteman DC, Bhandari P, Jankowski J. Nat Genet. 2012 Oct;44(10):1131-6.
- High-definition vs. standard-definition colonoscopy in the characterization of small colonic polyps: results from a randomized trial. Longcroft-Wheaton G, Brown J, Cowlishaw D, Higgins B, Bhandari P. Endoscopy. 2012Oct;44 (10):905-10.
- Consensus statements for management of Barrett's dysplasia and early-stage esophageal adenocarcinoma, based on a Delphi process. Bennett C, Vakil N, Bergman J, Harrison R, Odze R, Bhandari P, Ell C, Griffin SM, Jankowski J. Gastroenterology. 2012 Aug;143(2):336-46.
- Endoscopic management of nonampullary duodenal polyps. Basford PJ, Bhandari P. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2012 Mar;5(2):127-38
- Same-day bowel cleansing regimen is superior to a split-dose regimen over 2 days for afternoon colonoscopy: results from a large prospective series. Longcroft-Wheaton G, Bhandari P. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2012 Jan;46(1):57-61.
- Acetic acid enhanced chromoendoscopy is more cost effective than protocol guided biopsies in a high risk Barrett’s population. Bhandari P, Kndaswamy P, Longcroft-wheaton G. Dis Esophagus. 2012Jul;25(5):386-92.
- Circulating tumour markers can define patients with normal colons, benign polyps, and cancers. Mead R, Duku M, Bhandari P, Cree IA Br J Cancer. 2011 Jul12;105(2):239-45
- Endoscopic methods. Recent Results. Longcroft-Wheaton G, Bhandari P. Cancer Res. 2011;185:185-99
- Role of FICE and Indigo carmine chromoendoscopy in the classification of small polyps: data from a large comparative western study. Longcroft-wheaton G, Cowlishaw D, Higgins B and Bhandari P. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011 Oct;23(10):903-11
- Development and Validation of a Novel Method for Assessing Competency in Polypectomy: Direct Observation of Polypectomy Skills: DOPyS. S Gupta, J Anderson, P Bhandari, B McKaig, R Pullan, B Rembacken, S Riley, M Rutter, R Valori, M Vance, C P M van der Vleuten, B P Saunders, S Thomas-Gibson. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011
- Development and validation of a training module on the use of narrow band imaging in differentiation of small adenomas from hyperplastic colorectal polyps. Ignjatovic A, Thomas-Gibson S, East J, Haycock A, Bassett P, Bhandari P, Man R, Suzuki N, Saunders B. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011 Jan;73(1):128-33.
- Surgery versus radical endotherapies for early cancer and high grade dysplasia in Barrett's oesophagus. Bennett C, Green S, Barr H, Bhandari P, DeCaestecker J, Ragunath K, Singh R, Jankowski J. Cochrane Database of Syst Rev.2010 May 12,(5):CD007334
- Barretts esophagus: Acetic acid dye spray shows efficacy for detecting neoplasia. Loncroft-Wheaton G and Bhandari P. Nature Rev Gastro 2010. 7:653
- Acid Spray is an effective tool for the endoscopic detection of neoplasia in patients with barrett's esophagus. Longcroft-Wheaton G, Duku M, Mead R, Poller D, Bhandari P. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol.2010; 8(10):843-47.
- Colonic polyps: Classification, diagnosis and management. Longcroft-Wheaton G and Bhandari P. E-learning module for the national curriculum 2010
- Clinical trial using Gascon and Pronase either as a pre-endoscopic drink or as targeted endoscopic flushes to improve visibility during gastroscopy: A
prospective randomised controlled trial. Bhandari P, Green S, Nakajhima N, Saito Y, Oda I, Gotoda T. Scand J Gastrol 2010 Mar;45(3):357-61.
- Surgery versus radical endotherapies for early cancer and high grade dysplasia in Barrett's oesophagus. Susi Green, Ashref Tawil, Hugh Barr, Cathy Bennett Pradeep Bhandari, John DeCaestecker, Krish Ragunath, Rajvinder Singh, Janusz Jankowski, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD007334. DOI 10.1002/14651858.
- Is there an association between intestinal perfusion and Crohn's disease activity? A feasibility study using contrast-enhanced ultrasound. Kumar P, Domjan J, Bhandari P, Ellis R, Higginson A. Br J Radiol. 2009 Feb;82(974):112-7
- Individual crypt genetic heterogeneity and the origin of metaplastic glandular epithethelium in human Barrett’s oesophagus. SJ Ledham, SL Peterson, SAC Macdonald, G Elia, P Bhandari, D Poller, R Harrison, MR Novelli, JA Jankowski, NA Wright. Gut 2008:57(8):1041-8
- Prognostic significance of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression in patients with surgically resectable adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus. Bhandari P, Bateman AC, Mehta RL, Johnson P, Cree IA and Patel P. BMC Cancer 2006 May 19;6:134.
- Mucosal expression of COX-1 and 2 is increased with worsening damage to gastric mucosa. Bhandari P, Bateman AC, Mehta RL, Patel P. Histopathology 2005:46(3);280-6
- Effectiveness of glycerol as a submucoosal injection during endoscopic mucosal resection. Uraoka T, Fujii T, Saito Y, Sumiyoshi T, Emura F, Bhandari P, Matsuda T, Fu KI, Saito D. Gastrointest Endosc 2005:61(6);736-40
- Rapid up-regulation of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) by 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) in human solid tumours. Stuart J Mercer, Federica Di Nicolantonio , Louise A Knight, Francis G Gabriel, Pauline A Whitehouse, Sanjay Sharma, Augusta Fernando, Pradeep Bhandari, Shaw S Somers, Simon K Toh, and Ian A Cree. Anticancer Drugs 2005;16(5):495-500
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection for early gastric cancer: Technical feasibility, operation time and complications from a large consecutive series. Ichiro Oda, Takuji Gotoda, Hisanao Hamanaka, Takako Eguchi, Yutaka Saito, Takahisa Matsuda, Pradeep Bhandari, Fabian Emura, Daizo Saito and Hiroyuki Ono. Digestive endoscopy 2005;17(1):54-58.
- Cost-effectiveness of Population screening for Helicobacter pylori in prevention of gastric cancer and peptic ulcer disease, using simulation. Roderick P, Davies R, Raftery J, Pearce R, Bhandari P, Patel P. Journal of Medical screening 2003; 10:148-56.
- The cost-effectiveness of screening for Helicobacter pylori to reduce mortality and morbidity from gastric cancer and peptic ulcer disease: a discrete-event simulation model. Roderick P, Davies R, Raftery J, Crabbe D, Pearce R, Bhandari P, Patel P Health Technology Assessment 2003;7(6):1-30.
- Acute non-variceal upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage and its management. Bhandari P, Patel P. CPD Journal 2002; (1) 3:86-90.
- Modification in sucrose tolerance test with acarbose, guargum and their combination in patients with non-insulin dependent diabetes. Shah PK, Lakhotia M, Purohit A, Jain SK, Gupta SK, Bhandari P. J Assoc Physicians India.1993;41(11):703-05