Professor of Biomedical Sciences
Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY, USA
|M.D.||1960||University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania|
|Intern and Resident Department of Pathology||1960-62||Massachusetts General Hospital Boston, Massachusetts|
|Research Associate||1962-64||Laboratory of Germfree Animal Research NIAID, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland|
|Special Fellow, NIAID, NIH Honorary Fellow||1964-65||Department of Experimental Pathology, University of Birmingham Medical School Birmingham, England|
Dr. Sell is a board certified pathologist and immunologist. He has been working on the stem cell origin of cancer and cancer stem cells for over 50 years. He has published over 400 papers and 12 books. His paper with Barry Pierce (Lab. Invest. 70:6-21, 1994.) was selected as an AACR scientific landmark. Among his findings are: development of delayed hypersensitivity before antibody formation (T-cell priming, 1959). the role of the thymus in development of immune competence (1964); first identification of immunoglobulin on the surface of B cells (1965; Current contents citation classic, 1984); classification of immunopathological reactions (1971); development of a radioimmunoassay for alphafetoprotein (1972); identification of liver stem cells during chemical hepatocarcinogenesis and in response to injury (1972); role of endocytosis in activation of B cells (1974); recognition that the chancre of syphilis is a delayed hypersensitivity reaction (1979); role of mGSTA3 in detoxification of aflatoxin (2004); characterization of breast cancer stem cells (2012), identification of the immunopathological response to influenza virus infection in mice as a viral exanthema in the lung (2013).
Dr. Sell began research while a medical student at the University of Pittsburgh, in the Department of Pathology, under Frank J. Dixon. After a pathology residency at Massachusetts Hospital, and post doctoral fellowships at NIH and Birmingham England he returned to the University of Pittsburgh for 5 years before moving to the University of California at San Diego. After 12 years at UCSD, Dr. Sell took the position as Chair of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Texas (UT) at Houston before moving to Albany Medical College as Director of the Division of Experimental Pathology. As of February 2003 he has been a senior scientist at Wadsworth Center, a Professor at University at Albany School of Public Health and an Adjunct Professor at Albany College of Pharmacy. Dr. Sell received the Rudolph L. K. Virchow Award of the Italian Medical Magazine LeadershipMedica.com for his concept of cancer stem cells; he was named Legacy Laureate of the University of Pittsburgh for his work on alpha-fetoprotein as a marker for liver cancer; and in 2007 received the Abbott Award of the International Society for Oncodevelopmental Biology and Medicine for recognizing the role of stem cells in carcinogenesis. He has recently been funded by NIH for 5 years for to study risk factors for human liver cancer in genetically engineered aflatoxin sensitive mouse model developed in his laboratory. In addition recent immunopathologic analysis of lung tissues from mouse models of influenza have shown that there is invasion of the infected bronchial epithelium by cytotoxic T-cells, similar to the skin reactions to smallpox and measles (viral exanthema).
Liver stem cells
Cancer stem cells
|1965-69||Instructor, Assistant Professor, and Associate Professor Department of Pathology University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania|
|1970-71||Associate Professor Department of Pathology University of California, San Diego School of Medicine|
|1972-82||Professor of Pathology (Step 6) University of California, San Diego School of Medicine|
|1982-87||Pofessor and Chairman Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine University of Texas Medical School at Houston|
|1983-96||Adjunct Professor of Laboratory Medicine Department of Pathology University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|1987-96||Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine University of Texas Medical School at Houston|
|1997-2003||Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Director, Division of Experimental Pathology Albany Medical College|
|1998||Professor, University at Albany School of Health, State University of New York|
|2003||Research Physician 3 Wadsworth Center|
|2003-2011||Senior Research Scientist, Ordway Research Institute|
|2011-||Senior Research Scientist, Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Albany College of Pharmacy|
Honors and AwardsHonors and Awards
|1955||Omicron Delta Kappa, College of William and Mary|
|1959||Heard Junior Prize in Medicine, University of Pittsburgh|
|1965‑70||Research Career Development Award, National Institute of Health|
|1979‑80||Kaiser Award for Teaching, University of California, San Diego|
|1981||Listed in Current Contents as one of 1,000 most quoted scientists.|
|1984||Paper listed as "Citation Classic" by Current Contents|
|1985||Member ‑ College of William and Mary ‑ Athletic Hall of Fame|
|1988||Philip S. Hench Distinguished Alumnus Award, U. Pittsburgh Sch. Medicine|
|1998||Distinguished Scientist Award, Int. Acad.Tumor Marker Oncology|
|2002||Gary J. Miller Memorial Award for excellence in teaching AACR Pathobiology of Cancer Workshop|
|2005||Twenty Five Year Special Teaching Award, AACR|
|2005||Rudolph L. K. Virchow Award, LeadershipMedica, ITALY|
|2005||Legacy Laureate, University of Pittsburgh (Highest Award for Alumni).|
|2007||Paper listed as “Scientific Landmark in Cancer Research” by AACR|
|2007||Abbott Award of the International Society of Oncodevelopmental Biology and Medicine|
|2008||Keynote Speaker, International Academy of Pathology|
|2009||Keynote Speaker, European Federation of the Societies of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Prague|
|2009||Marquis: Who’s Who in America|
- Sell, S. and Weigle, W.O. The relationship between delayed hypersensitivity and circulating antibody induced by protein antigens in guinea pigs. J. Immunol. 83:257 263, 1959.
- Sell, S. and Braude, A.I. Intradermal reactions in man to autologous erythrocytes sensitized with tuberculin or endotoxin. J. Immunol. 87:119 125, 1961.
- Sell, S. and Weigle, W.O. Immunization to homologous milk in the rabbit. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. & Med. 107:850 853, 1961.
- Korn, D., DeSanctis, R. and Sell, S. Massive calcification of the mitral annulus. A clinicopathological study of fourteen cases. N. Eng. J. Med. 267 900 909, 1962.
- Flax, M.H., Jankovic, B.D. and Sell, S. Experimental allergic thyroiditis in the guinea pig. 1. Relationship of delayed hypersensitivity and circulating antibody to the development of thyroiditis. Lab. Invest. 12:119 129, 1963.
- Sell, S. Measurement of gamma globulin in germfree guinea pigs by hemagglutination inhibition. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. & Med. 114:362 368, 1963.
- Sell, S. Gamma globulin metabolism in germfree guinea pigs. J. Immunol. 92:559 564, 1964.
- Sell, S. and Fahey, J.L. Relationship between gamma globulin metabolism and low serum gamma globulin in germfree mice. J. Immunol. 93:81 87, 1964.
- Sell, S. Immunoglobulins of the germfree guinea pig. J. Immunol. 93:122 131, 1964.
- Sell, S. Evidence for species differences in the effect of serum gammaglobulin levels on gamma globulin catabolism. J. Exp. Med. 120:967 986, 1964.
- McIntire, K.R., Sell, S., and Miller, J.F.A.P. Pathogenesis of the postneonatal-thymectomy wasting syndrome. Nature 204:151 155, 1964.
- Fahey, J.L. and Sell, S. The immunoglobulins of mice. V. The metabolic (catabolic) properties of five immunoglobulin classes. J. Exp. Med. 122:41 58, 1965.
- Sell, S. Mercaptoethanol sensitive antibody production in germ free mice and guinea pigs. J. Immunol. 95:300 305, 1965.
- Sell, S. and Scully, R. Aging changes in the aortic and mitral valves. Histologic and histochemical studies with observations on the pathogenesis of calcific aortic stenosis and calcification of the mitral annulus. Am. J. Path. 46:345 365, 1965.
- Sell, S. and Gell, P.G.H. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro. I. Stimulation of blast transformation with an antiallotype serum. J. Exp. Med. 122:423 441, 1965.
- Knight, S., Ling. N.R., Sell, S. and Oxnard, C.E. Transformation of the peripheral lymphocytes of some laboratory animals. Immunology, 9:565 574, 1965.
- Gell, P.G.H. and Sell, S. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro. II. Induction of "blast" transformation with antisera to six IgG allotypes, and summation with mixtures of antisera to different allotypes. J. Exp. Med. 122:813 822, 1965.
- Sell, S., D.S. and Gell, P.G.H. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro. III. Protein, RNA and DNA synthesis by lymphocyte cultures after stimulation with phytohaemagglutinin, with staphylococcal filtrate, with antiallotype serum, and with heterologous antiserum to rabbit whole serum. J. Exp. Med. 122:823 839, 1965.
- Sell, S. and Gell, P.G.H. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro. IV. Blast transformation of the lymphocytes from newborn rabbits induced by antiallotype serum to paternal IgG allotype not present in the serum of the lymphocyte donors. J. Exp. Med. 122:923 928, 1965.
- Sell, S. Immunoglobulin M allotypes of the rabbit, identification of a second specificity. Science 153:641 643, 1966.
- Sell, S. Isolation and characterization of rabbit colostral IgA. Immunochem. 4:49 56, 1967.
- Sell, S. The use of xenogenic (heterologous) sera for the cultivation of rabbit lymphocytes in vitro. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 123:880 885, 1967.
- Sell, S. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro. V. The induction of blast transformation with sheep antisera to rabbit IgG sub units. J. Exp. Med. 125:289 301, 1967.
- Sell, S. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro. VI. The induction of blast transformation with sheep antisera to rabbit IgG, IgA and IgM. J. Exp. Med. 125:393 400, 1967.
- Sell, S. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro. VII. The induction of blast transformation with the F(ab')2 and Fab fragments of sheep antibody to IgG. J. Immunol. 98:786 791, 1967.
- Sell, S. Immunological deficiency diseases. AMA Arch. Path. 86:95 107, 1968.
- Sell, S. and Asofsky, R. Lymphocytes and Immunoglobulins. Prog. Allergy 12:86 160, 1968.
- Sell, S. and Hughes, S.J. Further characterization of rabbit immunoglobulin allotype A9. Immunochem. 5:401 404, 1968.
- Sell, S. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro VIII. The effect of homozygosity and heterozygosity of lymphocyte donors upon the induction of blast transformation with antiallotype sera. J. Exp. Med. 127:1139 1148, 1968.
- Sell, S. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro IX. The suppression of antiallotype induced blast transformation in lymphocyte cultures from allotypically suppressed donors. J. Exp. Med. 128:341 355, 1968.
- Sell, S. and Gell, P.G.H. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro X. The induction of blast transformation with antiallotype sera having allotypic determinants in common with the donor of the transformed cells. Immunology, 16:285 289, 1969.
- Sell, S. Antilymphocyte antibody; A review of the effects in experimental animals and a discussion of the problems involved in human use. Ann. Int. Med. 71:177 196, 1969.
- Sell, S., Park, A.H. and Nordin, A.A. Immunoglobulin classes of mouse antibody-forming cells. Localized hemolysis in agar plaque forming cells belonging to five immunoglobulin classes. J. Immunol. 104:483 494, 1970.
- Nordin, A.A., Consenza, H. and Sell, S. Immunoglobulin classes of mouse antibody-forming cells. II. Class restriction of localized hemolysis in agar plaque forming cells demonstrated by replica plating. J. Immunol. 104:495 501, 1970.
- Sell, S., Lowe, J.A. and Gell, P.G.H. Studies on rabbit lymphocyte in vitro XI. Superaddition of anti allotypic lymphocyte transformation: Evidence for multipotent lymphocytes. J. Immunol. 104:103 113, 1970.
- Sell, S., Lowe, J.A. and Gell, P.G.H. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro XII. Augmentation of anti allotypic blast transformation by a second anti allotypic serum directed against the primary stimulating anti allotypic serum (piggy back effect). J. Immunol. 104:114 118, 1970.
- Catalano, L.W., Jr., Moosey, J. and Sell, S. Virus interference in the brains of mice infected subcutaneously with Herpes simplex virus. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. and Med. 135:509 514, 1970.
- Sell, S. Stimulation of rabbit peripheral lymphocytes with antisera to alpha macroglobulin. Int. Arch. Allergy 38:150 157, 1970.
- Nordin, A.A.. Cosenza, H. and Sell, S. Immunoglobulin classes of antibody forming cells in mice. IV. The incorporation of tritiated thymidine into IgM and alpha 1 plaque forming cells during the primary immune response. J. Immunol. 105:154 161, 1970.
- Sell, S., Mascari, R.A. and Goldblatt, P.J. The in vitro effects of goat antisera to rabbit thymocyte subcellular fractions. J. Immunol. 105:1569 1574, 1970.
- Sell, S., Mascari, R.A. and Hughes, S.J. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro. XIII. The induction of blast transformation with the F(ab')2 and Fab fragments of anti lymphocytic, anti IgG and anti allotypic globulins. J. Immunol. 105:1400 1405, 1970.
- Sell, S. Development of restrictions in the expression of immunoglobulin specificities by lymphoid cells. Transplantation Rev. 5:19 44, 1970.
- Salvin, S.B., Sell, S. and Nishio, J. Activity in vitro of lymphocytes and macrophages in delayed hypersensitivity. J. Immunol. 107:655 662, 1971.
- Lieberman, M.W., Baney, R.N., Lee, R.E., Sell, S. and Farber, E. Studies in DNA repair: Stimulation of thymidine incorporation by human peripheral blood lymphocytes treated with alkylating agents and proximate carcinogens. Cancer Res. 31:1297 1306, 1971.
- Lieberman, M.W., Sell, S. and Farber, E. Deoxyribonucleoside incorporation and the role of hydroxyurea in a model lymphocyte system for studying DNA repair in carcinogenesis. Cancer Res. 31:1307 1312, 1971.
- Sell, S. and An, T. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro XIV. Fractionation of rabbit peripheral blood lymphocytes by antibody coated polyacrylamide beads. J. Immunol. 107:1302 1313, 1971.
- Sell, S., Lowe, J.A. and Gell, P.G.H. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro XV. The effect of blocking serum on anti allotypic lymphocyte transformation. J. Immunol. 108:674 682, 1972.
- An, T., Miyai, K. and Sell, S. Electron microscopic localization of rabbit immunoglobulin allotype b4 on blood lymphocytes by an indirect ferritin immune complex labelling technique. J. Immunol. 108:1271 1277, 1972.
- Sell, S., Jalowayski, I., Bellone, C. and Wepsic, H.T. Isolation and characterization of rat alpha1 fetoprotein. Cancer Res. 32:1184 1189, 1972.
- An, T. and Sell, S. Increased numbers of rabbit peripheral blood lymphocytes with a1 allotypic determinants demonstrated by double coating indirect rosette formation. Immunology, 24:277 288, 1973.
- Sell, S., Lowe, J.A. and Gell, P.G.H. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro XVI. Restimulation of anti allotypically stimulated and blocked cultures. J. Immunol. 111:144 151, 1973.
- Sell, S. Radioimmunoassay of rat alpha1 fetoprotein. Cancer Res. 33:1010 1015, 1973.
- Sell, S. and Gord, D. Rat alpha1 fetoprotein III. Refinement of radioimmunoassay for detection of 1 ng rat alpha1 fetoprotein. Immunochemistry 10:439 442, 1973.
- Sell, S. Alpha fetoprotein: Serum levels in pregnant rats. J. Natl. Cancer. Inst. 51:699 701, 1973.
- Becker, F.F., Klein, K.M., Wolman, S.R., Asofsky, R. and Sell, S. Characterization of primary hepatocellular carcinomas and initial transplant generations. Cancer Res. 33:3330 3338, 1973.
- Sell, S. and Sheppard, H.W., Jr. Rabbit blood lymphocytes may be T-cells with surface immunoglobulins. Science 182:586 587, 1973.
- Sell, S., Wepsic, H.T., Nickel, R. and Nichols, M. Rat alpha1 fetoprotein IV. The effect of growth and surgical of Morris hepatoma 7777 upon the serum alpha-1-fetoprotein concentration of Buffalo rats. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 52:133 137, 1974.
- Sell, S. and Alexander, D. Rat alpha fetoprotein V. Catabolism and fetal maternal distribution. J. Natl. Cancer Inst., 52:1483 1489, 1974.
- Sell, S. Rat alpha fetoprotein. VI. The catabolism of alpha1 fetoprotein and albumin in rats bearing Morris hepatoma 7777. Cancer Res., 34:1608 1611, 1974.
- Sell, S. and Sheppard, H.W., Jr. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro. XVIII. Kinetics of reversible concanavalin A stimulation and restimulation of blast transformation after blocking with anti Con A. Exp. Cell. Res. 84:153, 1974.
- Sell, S. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro. XIX. Kinetics of reversible antiallotypic stimulation and restimulation of blast transformation. Cell. Immunol., 12:119 126, 1974.
- Leffert, H.L. and Sell, S. Growth control of differentiated fetal rat hepatocytes in primary monolayer culture VII. Alpha fetoprotein biosynthesis during the growth cycle. J. Cell Biol., 61:823 829, 1974.
- Sell, S. and Morris, H.P. Rat alpha1 fetoprotein: Relationship to growth rate and chromosome composition of Morris hepatomas. Cancer Res., 34:1413 1417, 1974.
- Linthicum, D.S. and Sell, S. Surface immunoglobulin on rabbit lymphoid cells. I. Ultrastructural distribution and endocytosis of b4 allotypic determinants on peripheral blood lymphocytes. Cell. Immunol., 12:443 458, 1974.
- Linthicum, D.S. and Sell, S. Surface immunoglobulins on rabbit lymphoid cells. II. Ultrastructural distribution of b4 allotypic determinants and morphology of spleen lymphocytes. Cell. Immunol., 12:459 471, 1974.
- Sell, S., Nichols, M., Becker, F.F. and Leffert, H.L. Hepatocyte proliferation and alpha1 fetoprotein in pregnant, neonatal and partially hepatectomized rats. Cancer Res. 34:865 871, 1974.
- Bernstein, P., Wepsic, H.T. and Sell, S. Rat alpha1F. XI. Increased growth rate and alpha1 fetoprotein production by Morris hepatoma 5123tc in rats treated with anti thymocyte serum. Int. J. Cancer, 13:506 514, 1974.
- Becker, F.F. and Sell, S. Early elevation of alpha1 fetoprotein in N 2 fluorenylacetamide hepatocarcinogenesis. Cancer Research, 34:2489 2494, 1974.
- Sell, S., Reynolds, R.D. and Reutter, W. Brief Communication: Rat alpha1 fetoprotein: Appearance following galactosamine induced liver injury. J. Natl. Cancer Inst., 53:289 291, 1974.
- Linthicum, D.S. and Sell, S. A rabbit blood lymphocyte is both smooth and hairy. New Eng. J. Med. 290:1327 1328, 1974.
- Linthicum, D.S., Sell, S., Wagner, R.M. and Trefts, P. Scanning immunoelectron-microscopy of mouse and T and B cells. Nature 252:1327 1328, 1974.
- Sell, S., Sheppard, H.W., Jr., and Redelman, D. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro XX. Demonstration of cells reactive to more than one mitogen by mixed sequential stimulation. Exp. Cell. Res. 90:309 316, 1975.
- Sell, S. and Sheppard, H.W., Jr. Studies on rabbit lymphocytes in vitro XVII. Kinetics of reversible concanavalin A stimulation and restimulation of blast transformation after blocking with alpha methyl 1 d mannopyranoside. Exp. Cell. Res., 90:298 308, 1975.
- Kroes, R., Sontag, J.M., Sell, S., Williams, G.M. and Weisburger, J.H. Elevated concentration of serum alpha fetoprotein in rats bearing chemically induced liver tumors. Cancer. Res., 35:1214 1217, 1975.
- Linthicum, D.S. and Sell, S. Topography of lymphocyte surface immunoglobulin using scanning immunoelectron microscopy. J. Ultrastructural Res., 51:55 68, 1975.
- Dunn, C.R., Lasser, E.C., Sell, S. and Lang, J. Failure to induce hypersensitivity reactions to opaque contrast media analogs in guinea pigs. Investigative Radiology, 10:317 322, 1975.
- Becker, F.F., Horland, A.A., Shurgin, A. and Sell, S. A study of alpha1 fetoprotein levels during exposure to 3 methyl 4 dimethyl aminoazobenzene and its analogues. Cancer Res., 35:1510 1513, 1975.
- Sell, S., Leffert, H.L., Skelly, H., Muller Eberhard, U. and Kida, S. Relationship of the biosynthesis of alpha1 fetoprotein, albumin, hemopexin and haptoglobin to the growth state of fetal rat hepatocyte cultures. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci., 259:45 58, 1975.
- Redelman, D., Scott, C.B. and Sell, S. In vitro studies of the rabbit immune system. I. The in vitro response to SRBC of dissociated spleen cells from normal and primed rabbits. Cell. Immunol., 19:230 244, 1975.
- Becker, F.F., Wolman, S.R., Asofsky, R. and Sell, S. Sequential analysis of transplantable hepatocellular carcinomas. Cancer Res., 35:3021 3026, 1975.
- Sell, S., Sheppard, H.W., Jr., Nickel, R., Stillman, D. and Michaelsen, M. Effect of anti alpha1 fetoprotein (AFP) on an AFP producing rat tumor in vivo and in vitro. Cancer Res. 36:476 480, 1976.
- Sell, S. and Skelly, H. Tissue sites of synthesis of alpha1 fetoprotein by the rat during pregnancy and hepatoma growth. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 56:645 648, 1976.
- Redelman, D., Scott, C.B., Sheppard, H.W., Jr., and Sell, S. In vitro studies of the rabbit immune system. II. Functional characterization of rabbit T- and B-cell populations separated by adherence to nylon wool and lysis with anti thymocyte serum and complement. Cell. Immunol. 24:11 23, 1976.
- Redelman, D., Anderson, D.J., and Sell, S. In vitro studies of the rabbit immune system III. T-cell requirement for induction but not maintenance of antibody production to sheep red blood cells. Cell. Immunol. 24:24 33, 1976.
- Sheppard, H.W., Jr., Redelman, D. and Sell, S. In vitro studies of the rabbit immune system IV. Differential mitogen responses of isolated T- and B-cells. Cell. Immunol. 24:34 44, 1976.
- Wepsic, H.T., Onstad, J.W. and Sell, S. Alpha1 fetoprotein in a patient with a poorly differentiated carcinoma of the anterior mediastinum. Cancer 37:841 845, 1976.
- Sell, S., Stillman, D. and Gochman, N. Serum alpha-fetoprotein: A diagnostic and prognostic indicator of liver cell necrosis and regeneration following experimental injury by galactosamine in rats. Am. J. Clin. Path. 66:847 853, 1976.
- Redelman, D., Scott, C.B. and Sell, S. In vitro studies of the rabbit immune system V. The presence of Con A activated suppressor cells in spleen and peripheral blood which inhibit the in vitro PFC response of normal and primed spleen cells. J. Exp. Med. 143:919 936, 1976.
- Smuckler, E.A., Koplitz, M. and Sell, S. Alpha fetoprotein in toxic liver injury. Cancer Res. 36:4558 4561, 1976.
- Linthicum, D.S., Bahu, R., and Sell, S. Differences in ultrastructural appearance and modulation of endogenous and passively absorbed surface immunoglobulin (sIg) of rabbit lymphocytes. J. Immunol. 117:1179 1188, 1976.
- Sell, S., Becker, F.F., Leffert, H.L. and Watabe, H. Expression of an oncodevelopmental gene product (alpha fetoprotein) during fetal development and oncogenesis. Cancer Res.36:4239 4249, 1976.
- Linthicum, D.S. and Sell, S. Surface immunoglobulin in rabbit lymphoid cells. III. Double expression and separate endocytosis of surface immunoglobulin allotypes on heterozygous lymphocytes demonstrated by immunoelectron microscopic labelling. Cell. Immunol. 27:240 255, 1976.
- Becker, F.F., Stillman, D. and Sell, S. Serum alpha fetoprotein in a mouse strain C3H Avy(B) with spontaneous hepatocellular carcinomas. Cancer Res. 37:870 872, 1977.
- Linthicum, D.S. and Sell, S. Surface immunoglobulin on rabbit lymphoid cells. IV. Ultrastructural labeling of a and b group allotypic determinants. Immunol. 32:701 708, 1977.
- Damjanov, I. and Sell, S. Brief Communication: Yolk sac carcinoma grown from rat egg cylinder. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 58:1523 1525, 1977.
- Sheppard, H.W., Jr., Sell, S., Poler, S.M. and Redelman, D.D. Mixed lymphocyte reactions in the rabbit using peripheral blood cells: The effects of cell preparations and skin grafting. J. Immunol. Meth. 16:185 196, 1977.
- Damjanov, I., Skreb, N. and Sell, S. Origin of yolk sac carcinomas. Intl. J. Cancer 19:526 630, 1977.
- Sheppard, H.W., Jr., Sell, S., Trefts, P. and Bahu, R. Effect of alphafetoprotein on murine immune responses. I. Studies on mice. J. Immunol. 119:91 97, 1977.
- Sell, S., Poler, S.M., and Sheppard, H.W., Jr. Effect of alphafetoprotein on murine immune response. II. Studies on rats. J. Immunol. 119:98 103, 1977.
- Sell, S., Stillman, D., Michaelsen, M., Alaimo, J. and VonEssen, C. Prevention of pulmonary metastases by irradiation of the lung: A model system employing a transplantable hepatoma and alpha1 fetoprotein as an index of tumor growth. Rad. Res. 69:54 64, 1977.
- Linthicum, D.S. and Sell, S. Surface immunoglobulin on rabbit lymphoid cells V. Ultrastructural distribution of b4 allotypic determinants on thymus, lymph node and bone-marrow lymphocytes. Intl. Arch. Allergy 54:385 399, 1977.
- Sell, S. Demonstration of double allelic expression (allelic inclusion) of kappa light chain allotypes on heterozygous lymphocytes by double sequential allotypic stimulation. Cell. Immunol. 28:133 147, 1977.
- Linthicum, D.S., Elson, E., Mendelsohn, J. and Sell, S. Endocytosis and exocytosis of phytohemagglutinin cell surface receptors of human lymphocytes during blast transformation. Exp. Cell. Res. 110:237 250, 1977.
- Leffert, H.L., Koch, K.S., Rubalcava, B., Sell, S., Moran, T., and Boorstein, R. Hepatocyte growth control: In vitro approach to problems of liver regeneration and function. J. Natl. Cancer Inst., Monograph 48:87 101, 1978.
- Linthicum, D.S., Sell, S. and Mandy, W.J. Surface immunoglobulin on rabbit lymphoid cells VI. Failure to detect d and e group immunoglobulin allotypes on lymphocytes by immunoelectron microscopic labeling. Eur. J. Immunol. 7:860 864, 1977.
- Shinozuka, H., Lombardi, B., Sell, S. and Iammarino, R.M. Modification of ethionine liver carcinogenesis by choline deficiency: Early histological and functional alterations. Cancer Res. 38:1092 1098, 1978.
- Linthicum, D.S. and Sell, S. Ultrastructural labeling of lymphocyte surface immunoglobulin: The preparation and use of soluble immune complexes as indirect immunoelectron microscopic markers. Acta. Histochemia 61:204 222, 1978.
- Leffert, H., Moran, T., Sell, S., Ibsen, K., Skelly, H., and Arias, I. Growth state dependent phenotypes of adult hepatocytes in primary monolayer culture. P.N.A.S. 75:1834 1838, 1978.
- Shinozuka, H., Lombardi, B., Sell, S. and Iammarino, R.M. Enhancement of DL ethionine induced liver carcinogenesis in rats fed a choline devoid diet. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 61:813 818, 1978.
- Wepsic, H.T., Tracey, R.S., Sell, S., Harris, S., Ribi, E. and Morris, H.P. Immunotherapy of weakly antigenic established intramuscular tumors and pulmonary metastases in rats with BCG cell walls. Cancer Res. 38:1217 1222, 1978.
- Becker, F.F. and Sell, S. Differences in serum alphafetoprotein concentrations during the carcinogenic sequences resulting from exposure to diethylnitrosamine or acetylaminofluorene. Cancer Res. 39:1437 1442, 1979.
- Sell, S. Distribution of alphafetoprotein and albumin containing cells in the livers of Fischer rats fed four cycles of N 2 fluorenylacetamide. Cancer Res. 38:3107 3113, 1978.
- Hudig, D. and Sell, S. Isolation, characterization and radioimmunoassay of rat alphamacrofetoprotein (acute phase alpha2 Macroglobulin). Mol. Immunol. 547 554, 1979.
- Hudig, D., Sell, S., Newell, L. and Becker, F.F. Rat alpha2 macroglobulin (acute phase alpha2 macroglobulin) during hepatocarcinogenesis. Cancer Res. 39:37115 3719, 1979.
- Hudig, D. and Sell, S. Serum concentrations of alpha2 macrofetoprotein (acute phase alpha2 macroglobulin), a proteinase inhibitor in pregnant and neonatal rats and in rats with acute inflammation. Inflammation 3:137 148, 1978.
- Hudig, D., Sell, S., Newell, L., and Smuckler, E.A. Dissociation of alpha macrofetoprotein and alpha fetoprotein production during experimental injury. Lab. Investig. 40:134 139, 1979.
- Reddy, J.K., Rao, M.S., Azarnoff, D.L. and Sell, S. Mitogenic and carcinogenic effect in rat and mouse liver of WY 14,643, a hypolipidemic peroxisome proliferator. Cancer Res. 32:152 161, 1979.
- Sell, S., Thomas, K., Michaelsen, M., Sala Trepat, J., and Bonner, J. Control of expression of albumin and alphafetoprotein synthesis in normal liver and transplantable hepatocellular carcinomas of the rat. Biochem. Biophys. Acta, 564:173 178, 1979.
- Sala Trepat, J.M., Sargent, T.D., Sell, S. and Bonner, J. Alphafetoprotein and albumin rat genes. No evidence for amplication deletion or rearrangement in a rat hepatoma producing alphafetoprotein. P.N.A.S. 76:695 699, 1979.
- Sala Trepat, J.M., Dever, J., Sargent, T.D., Thomas, K., Sell, S. and Bonner, J. Changes in expression of albumin and alphafetoprotein genes during rat liver development and neoplasia. Biochemistry 18:2167-2178, 1979.
- Shinozuka, H., Sells, M.A., Katyal, S.L., Sell, S. and Lombardi, B. Effects of a choline devoid diet on the emergence of alpha glutamyltranspeptidase positive foci in the liver of carcinogen treated rats. Cancer Res. 39:2515 2521, 1979.
- Boyd, J.N., Sell, S. and Stoewsand, G.S. Inhibition of antitoxin induced serum alphafetoprotein elevations in rats fed cauliflower. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 161:473 475, 1979.
- Sells, M.A., Katyal, S.L., Sell, S., Shinozuka, H. and Lombardi, B. Induction of foci of altered, alpha glutamyltranspeptidase positive hepatocytes in carcinogen treated rats fed a choline devoid diet. Br. J. Cancer 40:274 283, 1979.
- Becker, F.F. and Sell, S. Alphafetoprotein levels and hepatic alterations during chemical carcinogenesis in C58 Bl/6 mice. Cancer Res. 34:3491 3494, 1979.
- Lukehart, S.A., Baker Zander, S.A. and Sell, S. Characterization of lymphocyte responsiveness in early experimental syphilis I. In vitro response to mitogens and treponema pallidum antigens. J. Immunol. 124:454 460, 1979.
- Lukehart, S.A., Baker Zander, S.A., Lloyd, R.M. and Sell, S. Characterization of lymphocyte responsiveness in early experimental syphilis II. Nature of cellular infiltration and Treponema pallidum distribution in testicular lesions. J. Immunol. 14:461 467, 1979.
- Brown, J.W., Leffert, H.L., Sell S. and Ho, R. Rapid radionuclear analysis of glucose synthesis from lactate in normal hepatocyte cultures. Anal Biochem. 109:284 290, 1980.
- Sell, S., Raffel, C. and Scott, C.B. Tissue localization of T- and B-lymphocytes in lagomorphs: Anatomical evidence for a major role of the gastrointestinal associated lymphoid tissue in generation of lymphocytes in the adult. Develop. Compar. Immunol. 4:355 366, 1980.
- Sell, S., Newell, L., and Sheppard, H.W., Jr. Effect of neonatal thymectomy on rabbit blood lymphocytes and antibody response to bovine serum albumin: evidence for thymus-dependent antigen-sensitive suppressor cells. Thymus 2:27 39, 1980.
- Sell, S., Gamboa, D., Baker Zander, S., Lukehart, S. and Miller, J. Host response to Treponema pallidum in intradermally infected rabbits: evidence for persistence of infection at local and distant sites. J. Invest. Dermatol. 75:470 475, 1980.
- Sell, S., Baker Zander, S. and Lloyd, R.M. T-cell hyperplasia of lymphoid tissues in rabbits infected with T. pallidum: a preliminary report showing no evidence for immune suppression. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 7:74 80, 1980.
- Sell, S., Sala Trepat, J., Sargent, T., Thomas, K., Nahon, J. L., Goodman, T. and Bonner, J. Molecular mechanisms of control of albumin and alphafetoprotein production: A system to study the early effects of chemical hepatocarcinogens. Cell Biology Intl. Reports 4:235 254, 1980.
- Sell, S. Heterogeneity of alphafetoprotein- and albumin-containing cells in normal and pathological permissive states for AFP production: AFP containing cells in carcinogen fed rats recapitulates the appearance of AFP-containing hepatocytes in fetal rats. Oncodevelopmental Biology & Medicine 1:93 105, 1980.
- Baker Zander, S. and Sell, S. A histopathologic study of the course of syphilis in the experimentally infected rabbit: Demonstration of long lasting cellular immunity. Am. J. Pathol. 101:387 414, 1980.
- Wald, N.J., Catz, C., Dayton, D., Alpert, E., Brock, D.J.H., Cuckle, H.S., Daniel, A., Fabro, S., Gitlin, D., Macri, J., Milunsky, A., Nishi, S., Oakley, G., Reimer, C.B., Ruoslahti, E., Sell, S., Sizaret, P., and Stoll, B. The quality control of alpha-fetoprotein reagents and assay for the anti natal screening and diagnosis of open neural tube defects. Clin. Chem. Acta 105:9 24, 1980.
- Sell, S., Leffert, H.L., Shinozuka, H. and Lombardi, B. Rapid development of large numbers of alpha-fetoprotein containing "oval" cells in Fischer rats fed N 2 fluorenylacetamide in a choline-devoid diet. GANN 72:479 487, 1981.
- Scott, C.B., Holdbrook, R. and Sell, S. Cell mediated immune response to Shope fibrma virus induced tumors in adult rabbits. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 66:681 689, 1981.
- Sell, S. and Scott, C.B. An immunohistologic study of Shope fibroma virus in rabbits: Tumor rejection by cellular reaction in adults and progressive systemic reticuloendothelial infection in neonates. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 66:363 373, 1981.
- Raffel, C. and Sell, S. Surface immunoglobulin bearing rabbit lymphocytes express both VH and L chain allotypic determinants. J. Immunol. 126:236 239, 1981.
- Sells, M.A., Katyal, S.L., Shinozuka, H., Estes, L.W., Sell, S. and Lombardi, B. Isolation of oval cells and of transitional cells from the liver of rats fed the carcinogen DL ethionine. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 66:355 362, 1981.
- Sell, S., Osborn, K. and Leffert, H.L. Autoradiography of "oval cells" appearing early in the livers of rats fed N 2 fluorenylacetamide in choline devoid diet. Carcinogenesis 2:7 14, 1981.
- Lukehart, S.A., Baker Zander, S.A., Lloyd, R.M.C. and Sell, S. Effect of cortisone on host parasite relationships in early experimental syphilis. J. Immunol. 127:1361 1368, 1981.
- Raffel, C. and Sell, S. Individual rabbit peripheral blood lymphocytes reactive to anti immunoglobulin and phytohemagglutinin or Concanavalin A identified by immunoelectromicroscopic demonstration of endocytosis. J. Immunol. 127:2530 2535, 1981.
- Nahon, J. L., Gal, A., Franin, M., Sell, S. and Sala Trepat, J.M. No evidence for post transcriptional control of albumin and alphafetoprotein gene expression in developing rat liver and neoplasia. Nucleic Acids Research 10:1895 1912, 1982.
- Raffel, C. and Sell, S. The relationship between endocytosis of ConA and PHA receptors and blast transformation of rabbit blood lymphocytes and identification of cells reactive to two different mitogens. J. Cell Science 56:141 156, 1982.
- Sell, S., Baker Zander, S., and Powell H.C. Experimental syphilic orchitis in rabbits. Ultrastructural appearance of T. pallidum during phagocytosis and dissolution by macrophges in vivo. Lab. Invest. 46:355 364, 1982.
- Linthicum, D.S., Bahu, R.M. and Sell, S. Surface immunoglobulin in rabbit lymphoid cells. VII. Binding of exogenous Ig by neonatal lymphocytes and ability of aggregated Ig to neonatal sera to bind to adult cells. Int. Arch. Allergy App. Immunol. 69: 340 346, 1982.
- Baker Zander, S.A., Lukehart, S.A. and Sell, S. Serum factors affecting in vitro cellular reactions to T. pallidum antigens during experimental syphilis in rabbits. Infect. Immun. 37:568 578, 1982.
- Skaletsky, E., Corbiel, L., Wunderlich, A., Sell, S. and Strayer, D.S. Proliferative responses of rabbit lymphocytes to Pasteurella multocida decrease with prolonged immunization. Infection and Immunity. 38:383 385, 1982.
- Skaletasky, E. and Sell, S. Synthesis of immunoglobulin by rabbit lymphocytes in vitro in response to anti immunoglobulin antiserum. Cell. Immunol. 72: 130 142, 1982.
- Sell, S. and Ruoslahti, E. Expression of fibronectin and laminin in the rat liver after partial hepatectomy, during carcinogenesis and in transplantable hepatocellular carcinomas. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 69:1105 1114, 1982.
- Strayer, S., Corbeil, L.B., Cabirac, G., Leibowitz, J., Skaletsky, E. and Sell, S. Malignant rabbit fibroma virus causes secondary immune suppression. J. Immunol. 130:399 404, 1983.
- Sell, S. A comparison of alphafetoprotein in rats during oval cell proliferation induced by feeding N 2 fluorenylacetamide in a choline devoid diet and bile duct proliferation induced by feeding 4,4' diaminodiphenylmethane. Cancer Research. 43:1761 1767, 1983.
- Champion, B.R., Sell, S. and Poole, A.R. Immunity to homologous collagens and cartilage proteoglycans in rabbits. Immunology. 48:605 616, 1983.
- Corbiel, L.B., Strayer, D.S., Skaletsky, E., Wunderlich, A. and Sell, S. Immunity to Pasteurellosis in compromised rabbits. American J. Vet. Res. 44:845 850, 1983.
- Handsfield, H.H., Lukehart, S.A., Sell, S., Norris, S. and Holmes, K.K. Demonstration of Treponema pallidum in a cutaneous gumma by indirect immunofluorescence. Arch. Dermatol. 119:675 677, 1983.
- Strayer, D.S. and Sell, S. Immunohistology of malignant rabbit fibroma virus a comparative study with rabbit myxoma virus. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 71:105 116, 1983.
- Strayer, D.S., Cabirac, G., Sell, S. and Leibowitz, J.L. Malignant rabbit fibroma virus: Observations on the culture and histopathologic characteristics of a new virus induced rabbit tumor. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 71:91 104, 1983.
- Strayer, D.S., Sell, S., Skaletsky, E. and Leibowitz, J.L. Immunologic disfunction during viral oncogenesis. I. Nonspecific immunosuppressive caused by malignant rabbit fibroma virus. J. Immunol. 131: 2595 2600, 1983.
- Gamboa, D., Miller, J.N., Lukehart, S.A., Baker Zander, S.A. and Sell, S. Experimental neonatal syphilis. II. Immunological responses of neonatal rabbits to intradermal inoculation with Treponema pallidum (Nichols strain). Pediatric Res. 18:972 979, 1984.
- Sell, S. and Salman, J. Light and electronmicroscopic autoradiographic analysis of proliferating cells during the early stages of chemical hepatocarcinogenesis in the rat induced by feeding N 2 fluorenylacetamide in a choline deficient diet. Am. J. Pathol. 114:287 300, 1984.
- Norris, S.J. and Sell, S. Antigenic complexity of Treponema pallidum: antigenicity and surface localization of major polypeptides. J. Immunol 133:2686 2692, 1984.
- Skaletsky, E., Sharp, P.A., Sell, S. and Strayer, D.S. Immunologic dysfunction during viral oncogenesis. II. Inhibition of cellular immunity to viral antigens by malignant rabbit fibroma virus. Cell. Immunol. 86:64 74, 1984.
- Strayer, D.S., Skaletsky, E. and Sell, S. Strain differences in Shope fibroma virus: An immunopathologic study. Am. J. Path. 116:342 358, 1984.
- Steiner, B.M. and Sell, S. Characterization of the interaction between fibronectin and Treponema pallidum. Current Microbiology 12(3):157 161, 1985.
- Bergstrand, A., Bohman, S.O., Farnsworth, A., Gokel, J.M., Krause, P.H., Lang, W., Hihatsch, M.J., Oppedal, B., Sell, S., Sibley, R.K., Thiru, S., Verani, R., Wallace, A.C., Zollinger, H.U., Ryffel, B., Thiel, G. and Wonigeit, K. Renal histopathology in kidney transplant recipients immunosuppressed with cyclosporin A: results of an international workshop. Clin. Nephrology 24:107 119, 1985.
- Boulter, J. and Sell, S. Polymorphism of rat alphafetoprotein and albumin genes. Tumor Biology. 5:365, 1985.
- Sell, S., Longley, M.A. and Boulter, J. Lack of correlation of methylation and alphafetoprotein and albumin gene expression during liver growth, in hepatocellular carcinomas, and during hepatocarcinogenesis. Tumor Biology 6:133 142, 1985.
- Dunsford, H.A., Maset, R., Salman, J. and Sell. S. Connection of duct like structures induced by a chemical hepatocarcinogen to portal bile ducts in the rat liver detected by injection of bile ducts with a pigmented barium gelatin medium. Am. J. Path. 118:218 224, 1985.
- Strayer, D.S., Sell, S. and Leibowitz, J. Animal model of human disease: Malignant rabbit fibroma syndrome: A possible model for acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Am. J. Path. 120:157 169, 1985.
- Sell, S., Salman, J. and Norris, S.J. Reinfection of chancre immune rabbits with Treponema pallidum I. Light and immunofluorescent studies. Am. J. Path. 118:248 255, 1985.
- Sell, S., Longley, M.A. and Boulter, J. Alpha-fetoprotein and albumin gene expression in brain and other tissues of fetal and adult rats. Devel. Brain Research 22:49 53, 1985.
- Cabirac, G.F., Strayer, D.S., Sell, S. and Leibowitz, J.L. Characterization, molecular cloning and physical mapping of the Shope fibroma virus genome. Virology. 143:663 670, 1985.
- Lukehart, S.A., Baker Zander, S.A. and Sell, S. Characterization of the humoral immune response to antigens of Treponema pallidum following experimental infection and therapy in rabbits. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 13(1): 9 15, 1986.
- Loar, L., Dennison, D. and Sell, S. Preparation and characterization of monoclonal antibodies to rabbit lymphocytes. J. Immunol. 137:2784 2790, 1986.
- Cabirac, G.F., Mulloy, J.J., Strayer, D.S., Sell, S. and Leibowitz, J.L. Transcriptional mapping of early RNA from regions of the Shope fibroma and malignant rabbit fibroma virus genomes. Virology 153, 53 69, 1986.
- Knoll, B.J., Longley, M. and Sell, S. Cloning of a cDNA encoding the rat placental glutathione-S transferase: Overproduction of the mRNA in hepatocellular carcinomas. Tumor Biology, 7:123 135, 1987.
- Endoh, M., Swada, T., Lagoo, A., Kimball, P.M., Loar, L.D., Gottlieb, N.G. and Sell, S. DNA and immunoglobulin synthesis by rabbit peripheral blood lymphocytes in vitro: complete and incomplete stimulation. Cellular Immunology, 107:455 464, 1987.
- Steiner, B.M., Sell, S. and Schell, R.F. Treponema pallidum attachment to surface and matrix proteins of cultured rabbit epithelial cells. J. Infect. Dis. 155:742 748, 1987.
- Sell, S., Karnasuta, C. and Dunsford, H.A. Cellular lineages of chemically induced liver cancer and their relationship to normal liver cell development. J. Tumor Marker Oncol. 2:125-131, 1987.
- Chamberlain, N.R., Radolf, J.D., Hsu, P. L., Sell, S. and Norgard, M.V. Genetic and physicochemical characterization of the recombinant DNA derived 47-kilodalton surface immunogen of Treponema pallidum ssp. pallidum. Infection & Immunity 56, 71 78, 1988.
- Kimball, P.M., Gamaz, N., Sell, S. Two episodes of calcium uptake associated with T lymphocyte activation. Cell. Immunol. 113:107 116, 1988.
- Kimball, P., Gamaz, N. and Sell, S. Resting lymphocytes are the target of cyclosporin action. Diabetes Research. 7:113 116, 1988.
- Hsu, P.L., Qin, M., Norris, S.J. and Sell, S. Isolation and characterization of recombinant Eschericia coli clones secreting a 24 kilodalton antigen of Treponema pallidum. Infect. Imm. 56:1135 1143, 1988.
- Johnson, P.C., Norris, S.J., Miller, G.P.G., Scott, L.D., Sell, S., Kahan, B.D., and VanBuren. Early syphilitic hepatitis following renal transplantation. J. Infect Dis. 158:236 237, 1988.
- Hsu, P L., Chamberlain, N.R., Orth, K., Moomaw, C.R., Zhang, L Q., Slaughter, C.A., Radolf, J.D., Sell, S. and Norgard, M.V. Sequence analysis of the 47 kilodalton major surface immunogen of Treponema pallidum. Infection and Immunity 57:196 203, 1989.
- Dunsford, H. and Sell, S. Production of monoclonal antibodies to preneoplastic liver cell populations induced by chemical carcinogens in rats, and to transplantable Morris hepatomas. Cancer Res. 49:4887 4893, 1989.
- Dunsford, H.A., Karnasuta, C., Hunt, J.M. and Sell, S. Monoclonal antibodies identify different lineages of chemically induced hepatocellular carcinoma in rats. Cancer Res. 49:4894 4900, 1989.
- Lagoo, A. and Sell, S. Early activation and cell cycle entry of resting B-cells after Fab anti Ig treatment: role of receptor cross linking. Cell. Immunol. 118:41 52, 1989.
- Sell, S. and Dunsford, H. Evidence for the stem cell origin of hepatocellular carcinoma and cholangiocarcinoma. Am. J. Pathol. 134:1347 1363, 1989.
- Kimball, P.M. and Sell, S. Cyclosporine immunosuppression mediated by calcium/sodium imbalance. Cancer Research, 49:877 882, 1989.
- Scott, R.J., Chakroborty, S., Sell, S., Hunt, J.M. and Dunsford, H.A. The change in the ploidy state of liver cells during chemical hepatocarcinogenesis and its relationship to the increased expression of alphafetoprotein. Cancer Research 49:6085 6090, 1989.
- Chisari, F., Klopehin, K., Pasquinelli, C., Dunsford, H., Sell, S., Pinker, C., Pallmiter, R. and Brinster, R. Molecular pathologenesis of hepatocellular carcinoma in Hepatitis B Virus transgenic mice. Cell 59:1145-1156, 1989.
- Dunsford, H. A., Sell, S. and Chisari, F. Hepatocarcinogenesis due to chronic liver cell injury in Hepatitis B virus transgenic mice. Cancer Res. 50:3400-3407, 1990.
- Lagoo, A., Tseng, C.K. and Sell, S. Molecular Signals in B cell activation I. Differential effects of incomplete and complete signaling by ionomycin and PMA on DNA synthesis relate to autocrine IL-2 production and functional IL 2R expression. Cellular Immunol. 127:483 496, 1990.
- Lagoo, A., Tseng, C.K. and Sell, S. Molecular signals in B-cell activation II autocrine IL 2 mediated signals are required in late G1 for maintenance of activation to S after ionomycin and PMA treatment. Cellular Immunol. 127:497 505, 1990.
- Lagoo, A., Tseng, C.K. and Sell, S. Interleukin 2 produced by B-lymphocytes acts as an autocrine proliferation-inducing lymphokine. Cytokine 2:272-279, 1990.
- Laybourn, K. A., Hirserodt, J. C., Hunt, J. M., Sell, S., and Strayer, D. Leporine natural killer cell activity. Cell. Immunol. 129:519-527, 1990.
- Tseng, C.K., Hughes, M.A., Hsu, P.-L., Mahoney, S., Duvic, M. and Sell, S. Syphilis activates expression of latent human immunodeficiency virus I infection in rabbits. Am. J. Pathol. 138:1149-1164, 1991.
- Sell, S. Hunt, J.M., Dunsford, H. and Chisari, F.V. Synergy between Hepatitis B virus expression and chemical hepatocarcinogenesis in transgenic mice. Cancer Res. 51:1278-1285, 1991.
- Tseng, C.K., and Sell, S. Protracted Treponema pallidum induced cutaneous lesions in rabbits infected with human T cell leukemia virus type I (HTLV I). AIDS Res. Human Retrovir. 7(3):323-331, 1991.
- Borenstein, L. A., Ganz, T., Sell, S., Lehrer, R. I. and Miller, J. N. Contribution of rabbit leukocyte defensins to the host response in experimental syphilis. Infect. Immunity, 59:1368-1377, 1991.
- Sell, S. and Salman, J. Demonstration of Treponema pallidum in axons of cutaneous nerves in experimental chancres of rabbits. Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 19:1-6, 1992.
- Dunsford, H.A. Ramagle, L.S., Womack, J.E., Sell, S., Becker, F.F. and Rodriquez, L.V. Spontaneous hepatocarcinogenesis in recombinant inbred mouse strains: Correlation with serum levels of alpha-fetoprotein. J. Tumor Marker Oncol. 6:145-155, 1991.
- Dunsford, H. A., Womack, J. E., Ramagli, L. S., Sell, S., Becker, F. F. and Rodriquez, L. V. Diethylnitrosamine induced hepatocarcinogenesis in recombinant inbred mouse strains: Correlation with serum levels of alpha-fetoprotein. J. Tumor Marker Oncol. 6:157-164, 1991.
- Sell, S. Cellular Origin of Cancer: Dedifferentiation or Stem Cell Maturation Arrest? Environmental Health Perspect. 101 (Suppl. 5):15-26, 1993.
- Sell, S. The role of determined stem-cells in the cellular lineage of hepatocellular carcinoma. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 33:189-201, 1993.
- Teeter, L. D., Estes, M, Chan, J. Y., Atassi, H., Sell, S., Becker, F. F., and Kuo, M. T. Activation of different multidrug resistance (P-glycoprotein) genes during liver regeneration and hepatocarcinogenesis between rats and mice. Carcinogenesis, 8:67-73, 1993.
- Sell, S, and Hsu, P-L. Delayed hypersensitivity, immune deviation, antigen processing and T-helper cell subset selection in syphilis pathogenesis and vaccine design. Immunol. Today, 14:576-582, 1993.
- Sell, S. and Pierce, G. B. Biology of Disease: Maturation arrest of stem cell differentiation is a common pathway for the cellular origin of teratocarcinomas and epithelial cancers. Lab. Invest. 70:6-21, 1994. AN AACR SCIENTIFIC LANDMARK.
- Ghrebaneous, N., Knoll, B., Lozano, G. and Sell, S: Characterization of a murine p53ser246 mutant equivalent to the human p53ser249 associated with hepatocellular carcinoma and aflatoxin exposure. Mole. Carcinogen. 11:104-111, 1995.
- Tseng, K. and Sell, S: Defective infection of rabbit peripheral blood monocyte cultures with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1). AIDS Res. and Human Retrovir. 10:285-293, 1994.
- Mathew, J. K., Knoll, B.J., Pillai, A., Durham, D. and Sell, S: Discrete cell-type specific enhancer regions 5' of the rat alpha-fetoprotein gene: identification of a highly active distal enhancer. J. Tumor Marker Oncology, 9:21-34, 1994.
- Sell, S. and Tseng, K.: Multiple superinfections fail to activate defective human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1) infection of rabbits. J. AIDS, 9:211-226, 1995.
- Ghrebaneous, N., Knoll, B., Yavorkovsky, L., Ilic, Z., Papaconstantinou, J., Lozano, G., and Sell, S: Developmental control of transcription of the CAT reporter gene by a truncated mouse alpha-fetoprotein gene regulatory region. Mole. Repro. Develop. 42:1-6, 1995.
- Sell, S, and Ilic, Z: Dietary Cadmium may enhance the progression of hepatocellular tumors in transgenic hepatitis B mice. Carcinogenesis. 15:2057-2020, 1994.
- Yavorkovsky, L., Lai, E. and Sell, S: Participation of small intraportal "stem" cells in the restitutive response of the liver to periportal necrosis induced by allyl alcohol. Hepatology, 21:1702-1712, 1995.
- Wang, L, Ilic, Z, and Sell, S. p53, mdm-2 and IGF-II in carcinogen induced hepatomas of HBV transgenic mice. Transgenics. 1:609-618, 1995.
- Ilic, Z, and Sell, S. Rapid induction of glutathionine-S-transferase-p in rat liver after injection of allyl alcohol. J. Tumor Marker Oncology, 10:21-32, 1995.
- Lee, J. H., Rim, H. J. and Sell, A. Promotion of cholangiocarcinomas by Clonorchis sinensis infection in hamsters after inductiion by dimethylnitrosamine. J. Tumor Marker Oncol. 10:7-16, 1995.
- Lee, J. H., Ilic, Z. and Sell, S. Restitution and scarring of the liver after periportal injury induced by allyl alcohol in mice. Int. J. Experimental Pathology, 77:63-72, 1996.
- Lee, J. H., Rim, H. J., and Sell, S. Heterogeneity of the "oval cell" response in the hamster liver during cholangiocarcinogenesis following Clonorchis sinensis infection and dimethylnitrosamine treatment. J. Hepatology, 26:1313-1323, 1997.
- Sell, S. Electron microscopic identification of putative liver stem cells and intermediate hepatocytes following periportal necrosis induced in rats by allyl alcohol. Stem Cells, 15:378-385, 1997.
- Sell, S., Xu K.L., Huff W.E., Kabena L.F., Harvery R.B. and Dunsford H.A. Aflatoxin exposure produces marked oval cell proliferation in young male Pekin ducklings. Pathology, 30:34-39, 1998.
- Ghebranious, N. and Sell, S. Hepatitis B injury, male gender, aflatoxin, and p53 expression each contribute to hepatocarcinogenesis in transgenic mice. Hepatology, 27:383-391, 1998.
- Ghebranious, N. and Sell, S. The mouse equivalent of the human p53ser246 mutation (p53ser246) enhances aflatoxin hepatocarcinogenesis in HBsAg transgeic mice and p53 heterozygous null mice. Hepatology, 27:967-973, 1998.
- Sell, S. Comparison of liver progenitor cells in human atypical ductular reactions to those seen in experimental models of liver injury in animals. Hepatology, 27:317-331, 1998.
- Yin L, Ghebranious N, Chakraborty S, Sheehan CD, Ilic Z, Sell S. Control of mouse hepatocyte proliferation and ploidy by p53 and p53ser246 mutation in vivo. Hepatology, 27:73-80, 1998.
- Wang L, Yu Y, Sell S. P53 and PCNA as differentiation markers of hepatocellular carcinomas. J. Tumor Marker Oncol. 13:5-13, 1998.
- Cosby HA, Hubscher S, Fabrix, L, Joplin R, Sell S, Kelly D, Strain AJ. Immunolocalization of putative human liver progenitor cells livers from patients with end-stage primary biliary cirrhosis and sclerosing cholangitis using the monoclonal antibody OV-6. Am J Pathol. 152:771-779, 1998.
- Yin L, Lynch D, Sell S. Participation of different cell types in the restitutive response of the rat liver to periportal injury induced by allyl alcohol. J. Hepatol. 31:492 507, 1999.
- Theise ND, Badve S, Saxena R, Henegariu O, Sell S, Crawford J, Krause DS. Derivation of hepatocytes from bone marrow cells in mice after radiation-induced myeloablation. Hepatology 31:235-240, 2000.
- Rosenberg D, Ilic Z, Sell S. Proliferation of hepatic lineage cells of normal C57BL and IL-6 knockout mice after cocaine-induced periportal injury. Hepatology, 31:948-955, 2000.
- Sun M, Ilic Z, Sell S. Difference in gene products in wild-type and p53 null mice determined by microarray analysis. J Tumor Marker Oncology, 15:77-84, 2000.
- Shiota G, Kunisada T, Oyama K, Udagawa A, Nomi T, Tanaka K, Tsutsumi A, Isono M, Nakamura T, Hamada H, Sakatani T, Sell S, Sato K, Ito H, Kawasaki H. In vivo transfer of hepatocyte growth factor gene accelerates proliferation of hepatic oval cells in a 2 acetylaminofluorene/partial hepatectomy model in rats. FEBS Lett. 470:325 30, 2000.
- Biava P. M, Mongrzzi A, Bonsignorio D, Frosi A, Sell S, Klavins JV. Xenopus laevis embryos share antigens with zebrafish embryos and with human malignant tumors. J. Tumor Marker Oncology. 16:203-206, 2001.
- Sell S. Heterogeneity and plasticity of liver stem cells. Hepatology, 33:738-750, 2001.
- Carlson JA, Scott D, Wharton J, Sell S. Incidental histopathologic patterns: possible evidence of “Field Cancerization” surrounding skin tumors. Am. J. Dermatopathol. 223:494-497, 2001.
- Sell S. The role of progenitor cells in repair of liver injury and in liver transplantation. Wound Repair & Regeneration. 9:467-482, 2001
- Yin, L, Lynch D, Ilic Z, Sell S. Proliferation and differentiation of ductular liver precursor cells and non-parenchymal cells during the restitutive response of the rat liver to carbon tetrachloride injury after inhibition of hepatocyte proliferation by N-2-acetylaminofluorine. Histology and Histopathology. 17:65-81, 2002.
- Yin L, Ilic Z, Sun M-Z, Leffert HL, Sell S. Derivation, characterization and phenotypic variation of hepatic progenitor cell lines isolated from adult rats. Hepatology, 35:315-324, 2002.
- Sell S. Cellular origin of hepatocellular carcinoma. Cell & Develop. Biology 13:419-424, 2002.
- Yang C, Sun M, Ilic, Z, Friedrich T, Sell S. Reduced expression of p27kip1 and increased hepatocyte proliferation in p53 deficient mice. Mole. Carcinogenesis. 36:15-22, 2003.
- Zhang M, Sell S, Leffert H. L. Hepatic progenitor cell lines from allyl alcohol-treated rats are derived from γ-irradiated STO cells. Stem Cells, 21:449-458, 2003.
- Sell S. Stem cell origin of cancer. J Tumor Marker Oncol. 18:153-154, 2003
- Shupe T, Sell S. Low hepatic glutathione-S-transferase and increased hepatic DNA adduction contribute to tumorigenicity of aflatoxin B1 in newborn and partially hepatectomized mice. Toxicology Lett., 148:1-9, 2004.
- Sell S. Mouse models to study the interaction of risk factors for human liver cancer. Cancer Res. 63:7553-7562, 2003.
- Sell S. Stem cell origin of cancer and differentiation therapy. Crit. Rev. Oncology and Hematology, 52:1-28, 2004.
- Xu M, Ilic Z, Zhang J, Sell S. Coenzyme nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide hydrogen: therapeutic potential as a cardioprotective agent. J. Tumor Marker Oncol. 19:241-250, 2004.
- Leffert HL, Sell S. Unexpected artifacts raise new caution in stem cell culture research. Hepatology. 39:258, 2004
- Shupe T, Sell S. No evidence of increased aflatoxin B1-DNA adduct formation in aflatoxin B1 sensitive hepatitis B surface antigen transgenic mice. J. Tumor Marker Oncology, 19:341-350,2004.
- Zhang M, Joseph B, Gupta S, Guest I, Sell S. Son K-H, Koch KS, Leffert H. Embryonic mouse STO cell-derived xenografts express hepatocyte functions in livers of non-immunosuppressed adult rats. Stem Cells 23: 186-199, 2005.
- Koch KS, Son K-W, Maehr R, Pellicciotta I, Ploegh, HL, Sanetti M, Sell S, Leffert HL. Immune-privileged embryonic Swiss mouse STO and STO cell-derived progenitor cells: MHC and cell differentiation antigen expression resemble those of human embryonic stem cell lines. Immunology. 119:98-115, 2006.
- Crawford, D.R., Ostrowski, S., Vakharia, D., Ilic, Z., and Sell, S. (2006) Separate origins of hepatitis B virus surface antigen-negative foci and hepatocellular carcinomas in transgenic HBsAg (alb/psx) mice. Am. J. Pathol. http://ajp.amjpathol.org/cgi/content/full/169/1/223169:223-232.
- Sell, S. (2006) Potential gene therapy strategies for cancer stem cells. Curr. Gene Ther. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/cgt/2006/00000006/00000005/art00004 6:579-591
- Sell S, Leffert HL. Liver Cancer Stem Cells. J. Clin. Oncology.26::2800-2805, 2008.
- Swenson, E.S., Guest, I., Ilic, Z., Mazzeo-Helgevold, M., Lizardi, P., Hardiman, C., Sell, S., and Krause, D.S. (2008) Hepatocyte nuclear factor-1 as a marker of epithelial phenotype reveals marrow–derived hepatocytes, but not duct cells, after liver injury in mice. Stem Cells http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1634/stemcells.2008-0148/full 267:1768-1777.
- Sell, S. Alpha-fetoprotein, Stem Cells, and Cancer. The Abbot Award Lecture. Tumor Biol. 29:161-180, 2008 (DOI: 10.1159/000143402).
- Glinskii, A.B., Ma, J., Ma, S., Grant, D., Lim, C.U., Sell, S., and Glinsky, G. (2009) Identification of intergenic trans-regulatory RNAs containing a disease-linked SNP sequence and targeting cell cycle progression/differentiation pathways in multiple common human disorders. Cell Cycle http://www.landesbioscience.com/journals/6/article/10113/ 8:3925-3942.
- Guest, I., Ilic, Z., Ma, J., Grant, D., Glinsky, G., and Sell, S. (2010) Direct and indirect contribution of bone marrow derived cells to cancer. Int. J. Cancer http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.24946/full 126:2308-2318.
- McKinstry, K.K., Strutt, T.M., Buck, A., Curtis, J.D., Dibble, J.P., Huston, G., Tighe, M., Hamada, H., Sell, S., Dutton, R.W., and Swain, S.L. (2009) IL-10 deficiency unleashes an influenza-specific Th17 response and enhances survival against high-dose challenge. J. Immunol. http://www.jimmunol.org/content/182/12/7353.full 182:7353–7363.
- Ilic, Z., Crawford, D., Vakaria, D., Egner, P.A., and Sell S. (2010) Glutathione-S-transferase A3 knockout mice are sensitive to acute cytotoxic and genotoxic effects of aflatoxin B1. Toxicol. & Applied Pharmacol. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2009.10.008 242:241–246.
- Sell S. On the stem cell origin of cancer. Am. J. Pathology, 176:2584-2594, 2010.
- Guest, I., Ilic, Z., and Sell, S. Age dependence of oval cell responses and bile duct carcinomas in male fischer 344 rats fed a cyclic choline-deficient, ethionine-supplemented diet. Hepatology 52:1750-1757, 2010, onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hep.23880/ful.
- Sell S. Infections, stem cells and cancer signals. Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology. 12:182-188, 2011.
- Carlson, JA, Dabri, G, Cribier, B, Sell, S. The immunopathobiology of syphilis. The manifestations and course of syphilis are determined by the level of delayed hypersensitivity. Am. J. Dermatopathol. 33:433–460, 2011.
- McKinstry JJ, Strutt TM, Sell S, and Swain, SL. Memory CD4 T cells protect against influenza through direct viral clearance that can lead to escape mutants as well as through help for naïve B cells and CD8 T cells. J. Immunol. 182: 7353–7363, 2009..
- Glinskii AM, Ma S, Ma, J, Grant-Lanza D, Lim C-K, Guest I, Sell S, Buttyan R, Glinsky G. Networks of intergenic snpRNAs driving castration-resistant phenotype of human prostate cancer, Cell Cycle. 2011 Oct 15;10(20):3571-97.
- Carlson JA, Schaller J, Sell S. Life-long susceptibility to Tropheryma whipplei: the role of systemic antigenemia and lymphatic failure. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011 Nov;66(11):2681-2
- Kohlmeier JE, Reiley WW, Perona-Wright, G, Freeman, ML, Yager EJ, Connon LM, Brincks IL, Cookenham T, Roberts AD, Burkum, CE Sell, S, Winslow GM, Blackman MA, Mohrs M, Woodland DL. Inflammatory chemokine receptors regulate CD8+ T cell contraction and memory generation following infection. J Exp. Med. 2011 Aug 1;208(8):1621-34.
- Ma J, Grant-Lanza DG, Guest I, Uk-Lim C, Glinskii A, Glinsky G, Sell S. Characterization of a model of breast cancer stem cells using MMTV-PyMT mice. Tumor Biology, 2012 33:1983-1996. DOI 10.1007/s13277-012-0458-4.
- Grant-Lanza DG, Ma J, Guest I, Uk-Lim C, Glinskii A, Glinsky G, Sell S. Tumor-derived mesenchymal stem cells are required for maximal tumor initiation potential of putative mouse mammary cancer stem cells. Tumor Biology, 2012 33:1997-2005. DOI 10.1007/s13277-012-0459-3.
- Brincks EL, Roberts AD, Cookenham T, Sell S, Kohlmeier JE, Blackman MA, Woodland DL. Antigen-Specific Memory Regulatory CD4+Foxp3+ T Cells Control Memory Responses to Influenza Virus Infection. J Immunol. 1;190(7):3438-46. 2013, doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1203140. Epub 2013 Mar 6.
- Biava, PM, Nicolini S, Ferrari R, Sell S. A systematic approach to cancer treatment: Tumor cell reprogramming focused on endocrine-related cancers. Current Medicinal Chemistry 21: 2014, 1072-1081.
- McKinstry KK, Strut TM, Kuang Y, Sell S, Swain SL. Memory T cells override requirement for TNF and IL-6 to resolve virus infection. Submitted.
- Kensler KH, Dolan PM, Slocum SL, Johnson NM, Ilic Z, Sell S, Crawford D, Groopmen JD, Densler TW, Egnar PA. Genetic or pharmacologic activation of Nrf2 signaling fails to protect against aflatoxin genotoxicity in hypersensitive GSTA3 knockout mice. Toxicological Sciences 2014; doi: 10.1093/toxsci/kfu056
- Sell S, Guest I, McKinstry KK, Strutt TM, Kohlmeier, JE, Brincks E, Tighe M, Blackman, MA, Woodland DL, Dutton RW, Swain SL. Immunopathology of influenza: Pulmonary viral exanthema, iBALT and epithelial proliferation in experimental mouse models. Submitted.
- Guest I. Sell S. Experimental mouse model of asthma is induced bronchus associated lymphoid tissue (iBALT) preceded by immune complex vasculitis. Submitted.
- Spink BC, Bloom MS, Wu S, Sell S, Schneider E, Ding X, Spink DC. Analysis of the AHR gene proximal promoter BBBBC-repeat polymorphism in lung, breast, and colon cancer. Submitted.