Professor of Microbiology/Infectious Disease
Caver College of Medicine
University of Iowa
Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Phone: (301) 620-7691
|1982-1986||PhD in Veterinary Pathobiology||The Ohio State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, National Cancer Institute, Ohio, USA|
|1980-1984||DVM||The Ohio State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ohio, USA|
|1977-1979||MSc in Veterinary Physiology, Pharmacology and Veterinary Pathobiology||The Ohio State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ohio, USA|
|1974-1977||BS||Colorado State University, Colorado, USA|
Dr. Peter Lloyd Nara, currently is the Chief Executive Officer, President, Chairman & co-founder of Biological Mimetics, Inc. and held the Endowed Eugene Lloyd Entrepreneurial Chair and Professor in Vaccinology, founding Center Director for the Center for Advanced Host Defense, Immunobiotics, and Translational Comparative Medicine in the Department of Biomedical Sciences, in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University, is an Adjunct Professor of Microbiology/Immunology, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa. He holds a MSc in Immuno-pharmacology, a combined Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and PhD (retro-virology/oncogenesis) from The Ohio State University, 4 year combined residency in Comparative Pathology and NIH senior post-doctoral Fellowship at both the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and the NIH respectively.
Dr. Peter Lloyd Nara has received numerous awards and recognition and in 2011 was elected as a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) for his work related to Deceptive Imprinting and Immune Refocusing Technology and in 2014 named the Distinguished Professor and Alumni at The Ohio State University in 2014.
- Vaccine Resistant Diseases.
- Comparative Medicine and Infectious Diseases.
- Comparative Biology & Pathology.
- Comparative Immunology, Virology & Microbiology.
- Comparative Tumor Biology.
- Vaccinology-Human and animal.
|2009-Current||Professor, Microbiology/Infectious Diseases, Caver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa, USA|
|2008-2013||W. Eugene Lloyd & Battelle Endowed Chair in Vaccinology, Professor, Iowa State University, Iowa, USA|
Membership For Professional Organizations
|2007-Current||American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)|
|1994||International Society for Vaccines|
|1993||American Society for Microbiology|
|1992||Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society|
|1990||Scientific Research Society, Sigma Xi, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio|
|1987||Charles Louis Davis, DVM, Foundation for the Advancement of Veterinary Pathology|
|1986||The National Geographic Society|
|1984||The American Veterinary Medical Association|
|1980||The American College of Veterinary Physiologists and Pharmacologists|
|1980||The American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians|
|1979||The American Association of Veterinary Immunologists|
Honors & Awards
|2015||International Society of Vaccines Vaccinology Fellow of the month|
|2014||Received The Distinguished Alumni Award, The Ohio State University, the College of Veterinary Medicine, Ohio, USA|
|2014||Nominated Institute of Medicine Fellow, Washington DC, USA|
|2011||Elected as a 2011 AAAS Fellow, Washington DC, USA|
|2008||Research selected for finalist in the II World Ehrlich Conference for Magic Bullets|
|2008||The W. Eugene Lloyd Endowed Entrepreneurial Chair Medallion , College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Iowa , USA|
|2008||“Small Business firm of the Year”-finalist, State of Maryland Technology Council|
|2007||Congressional Medal/Order of Merit-Senator Tom Cole (Okla.) USA|
|2004||Nominated Frederick County Business Entrepreneur of the year|
|1997||Recipient of the 1997 Federal Technology Transfer Act Award National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute|
|1994||Nominated and elected as the first president of the International Society for Vaccines|
|1993||Tenured Veterinary Medical Officer/Scientist, National Cancer Institute Frederick Cancer Research Facility, Frederick, Maryland, USA|
|1992||Howard Hughes Lecturer|
|1987||Nominated Member of Who's Who in Veterinary Science and Medicine|
|1984||Recipient of the National Cancer Institute, Post-Doctoral Medical Staff Fellowship (4 yrs)|
|1984||Recipient of the Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine's "Excellence in Research Award"|
|1983||Recipient of the National Cancer Institute Summer Training Award|
|1980||Recipient of Outstanding Young Men of America|
|1978||Recipient of the Ohio Canine Grant Award|
- Ruppach, H., Nara. P.L., Raudonat, I., Elanjikal, Z., Rubsamen-Waigmann, H., and Dietrich, U. HIV-positive sera taken shortly after seroconversion neutralize the autologous HIV-1 isolates on primary macrophages, but not on lymphocytes. J. of Virology 2000 Jun; 74(12):5403-11.
- Sirko-Osadsa, D.A., Conley, S., Goldberg, A.D., Nara, P.L. and Ehrlich, G. 2001: Chimeric HIV-1 envelope proteins suggest interaction with non-envelope proteins in determining antibody neutralization phenotype. Virology. 76:123-130.
- Nara, P.L. and Lin George, 2005, HIV-1: Confounding variables of Virus Neutralization. Current Drug Targets-Infectious Disorders vol. 5 157-170.
- Lin, George and Nara Peter L. 2007. Designing Immunogens to Elicit Broadly Neutralizing Antibodies to the HIV-1 Envelope Glycoprotein. Current HIV Research, 5:514-541.
- Cyril G. Gay and Thomas L. Richie, et al. Nara, P.L. Advances in Immunology and Vaccine Discovery: Report of the United States–European Commission Workshop Vaccine, Volume 25, Issue 41, 10 October 2007, Pages 7007-7011.
- Tobin, G., Jessie Trujillo, Bushnell, R., Lin, G., Chaudhuri, R. Jinxue Long, Jose Barrera, Lindomar Pena, Marvin Grubman and Nara, P.L. Deceptive Imprinting and immune refocusing in vaccine design. Vaccine 26: 6189-6199, 2008.
- Nara PL, Nara D, Chaudhuri R, Lin G, Tobin G. Perspectives on advancing preventative medicine through vaccinology at the comparative veterinary, human and conservation medicine interface: Not missing the opportunities. Vaccine. 26: 6200-11 (2008).
- Bushnell RV, Tobin JK, Long J, Schultz-Cherry S, Chaudhuri AR, Nara PL, Tobin GJ. Serological characterization of guinea pigs infected with H3N2 human influenza or immunized with hemagglutinin protein. Virology 7:200. 2010.
- Eguchi-Ogawa T, Wertz N, Sun XZ, Puimi F, Uenishi H, Wells K, Chardon P, Tobin GJ, Nara, P.L. Butler JE. Antibody repertoire development in fetal and neonatal piglets. XI. The relationship of variable heavy chain gene usage and the genomic organization of the variable heavy chain locus. J Immunol. 184: 3734-42.2010.
- Pan K, Long J, Sun H, Tobin GJ, Nara PL, et al. Selective Pressure to Increase Charge in Immunodominant Epitopes of the H3 Hemagglutinin Influenza Protein. J Mol Evol. 2011; 72: 90–103.
- Nara PL, GJ Tobin, AR Chaudhuri, JD Trujillo, G Lin, M Cho, SA Levin, W Ndifon, NS Wingreen. How can vaccine designs against influenza and other viral diseases be made more effective? PLoS Biol. 2010 December; 8(12): e1000571. Published online 2010 December 21.
- Long J, Bushnell RV, Tobin JK, Pan K, Deem MW, Nara PL, Tobin GJ Evolution of H3N2 influenza virus in a Guinea pig model. PloS ONE 2011; 6(7) e20130 July 2011
- Butler, JE, Sun X, Wertz N, Lager KM, Chaloner K, Urban J Jr, Francis DL, Nara PL, Tobin GJ. Antibody repertoire development in fetal and neonatal piglets XXI. Usage of most VH genes remains constant during fetal and postnatal development. Mol Immunol. 2011 Dec; 49(3): 483-94. Epub 2011 Oct 21.
- Sun X, Wertz N, Lager K, Sinkora M, Stepanova K, Nara, P.L. Tobin G, Butler JE. Antibody repertoire development in fetal and neonatal piglets. XXII. λ Rearrangement precedes κ rearrangement during B-cell lymphogenesis in swine. Immunology. 2012 Oct; 137(2): 149-59.
- Sun XZ, Wertz N, Lager KL, Tobin G, Nara, P.L. Butler JE. Antibody repertoire development in fetal and neonatal piglets. XXIII: fetal piglets infected with a vaccine strain of PRRS Virus display the same immune dysregulation seen in isolator piglets. Vaccine. 2012 May 21; 30(24): 3646-52.
- Ruth V Bushnell, John K Tobin, Jinxue Long, Stacey Schultz-Cherry, A. Ray Chaudhuri, Peter L Nara, and Gregory J Tobin. 2010. Serological characterization of guinea pigs infected with H3N2 human influenza or immunized with hemagglutinin protein. Virology 7: 200-211.
- Wolfram JH, Nara PL.Exchange and sharing of new information, experiences, and approaches to controlling, reducing, and eventually eradicating different types of diseases. Conclusion. Vaccine. 2010 Oct 1;28 Suppl 5: F85-8.
- Wolfram JH, Nara PL.Brucellosis as a Transboudary Infection of Animals and Humans which Needs to be managed by Cooperative Efforts of Different Countries. Introduction. Vaccine. 2010 Oct 1; 28 Suppl 5: F1-2.
- Sponseller BA, Strait E, Jergens A, Trujillo J, Harmon K, Koster L, Jenkins-Moore M, Killian M, Swenson S, Bender H, Waller K, Miles K, Pearce T, Yoon KJ, Nara P. Influenza A pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection in domestic cat. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010 Mar; 16(3): 534.
- Butler JE, X-Z Sun, N. Wertz , K.M. Lager, K. Chaloner, J. Urban, Jr., P.L. Nara and G.J. Tobin. Antibody Repertoire Development in Fetal and Neonatal Piglets. XXI. VH usage remains constant during development in fetal piglets and postnatally in piglets exposed to environmental antigen. Mol Immunol. 2011 Oct 20., 2011
- Lech PJ, Tobin GJ, Bushnell R, Gutschenritter E, Pham LD, Nace R, Verhoeyen E, Cosset FL, Muller CP, Russell SJ, Nara PL. Epitope dampening monotypic measles virus hemagglutinin glycoprotein results in resistance to cocktail of monoclonal antibodies. PLoS One. 2013; 8(1): e52306.
- Lech, P., Pappoe, R., Nakamura, T., Tobin, G. Nara, P.L., Russell, S.J. 2014. Antibody neutralization of retargeted measles viruses. Virology 454-455(2014) 237-246
- Ehrlich, G.D., Fen Z. Hu, Sotereanos N., Sewicke J., Parvizi J., Nara PL., and Arciola CR., What Role do Periodontal Pathogens play in Osteoarthritis and Periprosthetic Joint Infections of the Knee? J Appl Biomater Funct Mater. 2014 Jun 12; 12(1): 13-20.