Consultant laparoscopic colorectal surgeon
Northern General Hospital
|FRCS (Gen. Surg.)||2009|
|M PHIL (SWANSEA)||2006|
|MASTER OF SURGERY (MS), India||1997|
|MBBS (Madras University, India)||1991|
Athur Harikrishnan is a consultant laparoscopic colorectal surgeon in Sheffield Teaching Hospitals. He trained in East Anglia and worked as a consultant in Doncaster for 4 years before moving to Sheffield in 2014.
He is the Associate Training Programme Director for general surgery in the Yorkshire Deanery and holds an Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer ship with Edge Hill University and Sheffield University.
His managerial roles include Yorkshire chapter representative of the Association of Coloproctology of GB & Ireland and member of the Yorkshire and Humber Clinical Senate.
His clinical interests include laparoscopic surgery for benign and malignant colorectal conditions, abdominal wall reconstruction and colonoscopy.
He is the course director for several surgical skills courses and in the teaching faculty of University of Edinburgh and University of East Anglia.
- Laparoscopic colorectal surgery
- Open abdomen management
- Complex perianal disease
|Associate training programme director||General surgery, School of Surgery, Yorkshire and Humber Deanery|
|Honorary clinical senior lecturer||Sheffield University|
|E-Tutor||University of Edinburgh, ESSQ Programme|
|Teaching faculty||University of East Anglia, MS – Coloproctology Programme|
Management roles – regional/national
- Yorkshire regional representative, Association of coloproctology of Great Britain & Ireland (ACPGBI).
- Acpgbi external affairs committee member.
- Yorkshire and humber clinical senate member.
- Peer reviewer for national colorectal cancer service.
- SaccrococcygealChordoma: A rare and easily missed diagnosis in older adults. Ward A, Kalyanaraman A, Rae A and Harikrishnan A. World J of Colorectal Surgery. Accepted, in press.
- Laparoscopic Surgery in Luminal Gastrointestinal Emergencies-a Review of Current Status. Gupta A, Habib K, Harikrishnan A, Khetan N Indian J Surg. 2014 Dec;76(6):436-43.
- A Study of the Surgical Knowledge of House Officers and Their Role in Consenting. PJ Arumugam, AB Harikrishnan, ND Carr, AR Morgan & J Beynon. Hospital Medicine2003; 64:108-110.
- Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome after spinal surgery for scoliosis – A Case Report. H Amarawickrama, A Harikrishnan, B Krijgsman. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2005 Dec; 66(12):700-1.
- Investigation of oesophageal reflux symptoms after gastric surgery with combined pH and bilirubin monitoring. Letter correspondence. Appleton BN, Beynon J, Harikrishnan AB, Manson JM. Br J Surg. 1999 Aug; 86(8):1099-100.