Institute for Regenerative Medicine at Scott & White Hospital
Texas A & M Health Sciences Center
Round Rock, Texas, USA
Phone: (254)771-6821, E-mail: RLee@medicine.tamhsc.edu
Bachelor of Science
Master of Science (1998-2000)
Postdoctoral Fellow (2003-2008)
Gene Therapy Center, Tulane University Health Sciences Center New Orleans, LA, USA
Ryang Hwa Lee is an Assistant Professor at Texas A&M Health Science Center. She received her Ph.D. in Physiology from the College of Medicine, Pusan National University in 2003. She joined Tulane Health Science Center as a Postdoctoral Associate, working with Dr. Darwin Prockop, a pioneer in the mesenchymal stem/stromal cells field. Dr. Lee later joined the faculty at Texas A&M Health Science Center in July 2009.
Dr. Lee’s research focuses on understanding the cellular and molecular mechanisms of beneficial effects of mesenchymal stem/stromal cells (MSCs) in animal models of human diseases including sterile inflammation mediated-diseases, Type 1 diabetes, and cancer
|07/2011–present8||Tenure track Assistant Professor, Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Texas A & M Health Sciences Center, Temple, TX|
|11/2009–06/2011||Non-tenure track Assistant Professor, Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Texas A & M Health Sciences Center, Temple, TX|
|08/2008–10/2009||Research Scientist, Institute for Regenerative Medicine at Scott & White, Texas A & M Health Sciences Center, Temple, TX|
Professional activity Invited Speeches
|08/2008||6th Catholic International Stem Cell Symposium, Seoul, Korea|
|07/2009||Stem Cells and Cell Therapies in Lung Biology and Lung Diseases Conference, Burlington, VT|
|11/2009||5th International Conference on Mesenchymal and Non-Hematopoietic Stem Cells, Austin, TX|
|03/2010||Satellite Symposium of the 14th International Congress of Endocrinology, Kyoto, Japan|
|12/2011||Stem Cell Education Fellowship, Las Vegas, NV|
|05/2012||VII Postgraduate Scientific Meeting of Botucatu School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/2012 9th Stem Cell Research & Therapeutics, Philadelphia, PA|
|03/2013||2013 Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Global Congress, Seoul, Korea|
|05/2013||6th International Symposium on Mesenchymal Stem/Progenitor Cells “MSCs and Cancers: Issues and Opportunities”, College Station, TX|
|11/2013||Lost Pines Conference 2013, Smithville, TX|
|04/2014||1st International Symposium of Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine Consortium, Seoul, Korea, *Keynote speaker|
|12/2014||International Conference of Cellular Therapy, Taipei, Taiwan|
Honors and Awards
- 2002 Outstanding graduate Student Award from Pusan National University
- Jung JS, Park MY, Lee RH, Jun JS, Kim YK. Protection against hydrogen peroxide induced injury in renal proximal tubule cell lines by inhibition of poly(ADP-ribose) synthase. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2000;23(1):14-9. PMID: 10567849
- Jung JS, Lee RH, Koh SH, Kim YK. Changes in expression of sodium cotransporters and aquaporin-2 during ischemia-reperfusion injury in rabbit kidney. Renal Failure. 2000 22:407-421. PMID: 10901179
- Jung JS, Hwang SM, Lee RH, Kang SK, Woo JS, Kim YK. Extracellular ATP stimulates Na and Cl transport through the activation of multiple purinergic receptors on the apical and basolateral membranes in M-1 mouse cortical collecting duct cells. Kor J Physiol Pharmacol. 2001 5: 231-241
- Kang SK, Lee RH, Jung JS. Effect of brain-derived neurotrophic factor on neuronal differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cell and neural precursor cells. Neuroscience Research Communications. 2001 29:183-192
- Lee RH, Park MY, Song JM, Kang SK, Jung JS. Cisplatin-indeced apoptosis by translocation of endogenous Bax in mouse collecting duct cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2001 62: 1013-1023. PMID: 11597570
- Hwang SM, Lee RH, Song JM, Yoon S, Kim YS, Lee SJ, Kang SK, Jung JS. Expression of aquqporin- 5 and its regulation in skeletal muscle cell. Exp Molecular Med. 2002 34:69-74. PMID: 11989981
- Lee DH, Kang SK, Lee RH, Ryu JM, Park HY, Choi HS, Bae YC, Suh KT, Kim YK, Jung JS. Effects of peripheral benzodiazepine receptor ligands on proliferation and differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. J Cell Physiol. 2004;198(1):91-9. PMID: 14584048
- Song JM, Lee RH, Jung JS. Roles of NF-kappaB and Bcl-2 in Two Differential Modes of Cell Death of Mouse Cortical Collecting Duct Cells. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2005;28(2):101-110. PMID: 15746559
- Lee RH, Kim B, Choi I, Kim H, Choi HS, Suh K, Bae YC, Jung JS. Characterization and expression analysis of Mesenchymal stem cells from human bone marrow and adipose tissue. 2004. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2004;14(4-6):311-24. PMID: 15319535
- Lee RH, Hsu SC, Munoz J, Jung JS, Lee NR, Pochampally R, Prockop, DJ. A Subset of Human Rapidly-Self Renewing Marrow Stromal Cells (MSCs) Preferentially Engraft in Mice. Blood. 2006 107(5):2153-61. PMID: 16278305
- Lee RH, Seo ML, Reger RL, Spees JL, Pulin AA, Olson SO, Prockop DJ. Multipotent Stromal Cells from Human Marrow (hMSCs) Home to and Promote Repair of Pancreatic Islets and Renal Glomeruli in Diabetic NOD/scid Mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 103(46):17438-43. PMID: 17088535
- Lee RH*, Seo MJ*, Pulin AA, Gregory CA, Ylostalo J, Prockop DJ. The CD34-like Protein PODXL and α6-Integrin (CD49f) Identify Early Progenitor MSCs with Increased Clonogenicity and Migration to Infarcted Heart in Mice. Blood. 2009 113(4):816-26. PMID: 19570514. *Authors made equal contributions
- Lee RH, Pulin AA, Seo MJ, Kota DJ, Ylostalo J, Larson BJ, Semprun-Prieto L, Delafontaine P, Prockop DJ. Intravenous hMSCs Improve Myocardial Infarction in Mice Because Cells Embolized In Lung Are Activated to Secrete the Anti-Inflammatory Protein TSG-6. Cell Stem Cell. 2009. 5:1-10. PMID: 19570514
- Semon JA, Nagy LH, Llamas CB, Tucker HA, Lee RH, Prockop DJ. Integrin expression and integrin- mediated adhesion in vitro of human multipotent stromal cells (MSCs) to endothelial cells from various blood vessels. Cell Tissue Res. 2010. 341(1):147-58. PMID: 20563599
- Larson BL, Ylostalo J, Lee RH, Gregory C, Prockop DJ. Sox11 Is Expressed in Early Progenitor Human Multipotent Stromal Cells and Decreases with Extensive Expansion of the Cells. Tissue Eng Part A. 2010. 16(11):3385-94. PMID: 20626275
- Bartosh T, Ylostalo Y, Mohammadipoor A, Bazhanov N, Coble K, Claypool K, Lee RH, Choi H, Prockop DJ. Aggregation of human mesenchymal stromal cells (hMSCs) into three dimensional spheroids enhances their anti-inflammatory properties. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010. 107(31):13724-9. PMID: 20643923
- Oh JY, Roddy GW, Choi H, Lee RH, Ylöstalo JH, Rosa RH Jr, Prockop DJ. Anti-inflammatory protein TSG-6 reduces inflammatory damage to the cornea following chemical and mechanical injury. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010. 107(39):16875-80. PMID: 2083752
- Choi H*, Lee RH*, Bazhanov N, Oh JY, Prockop DJ. Anti-inflammatory Protein TSG-6 Secreted by Activated MSCs Attenuates Zymosan-Induced Peritonitis by Decreasing the Zymosan/TLR2 Mediated Stimulation of NF-ĸB Signaling in Resident Macrophages. TBloodT 2011. 118(2):330-8. PMID: 21551236. *Authors made equal contributions
- Lee RH*, Oh JY, Choi H, Bazhanov N. Therapeutic factors secreted by mesenchymal stromal cells and tissue repair. J Cell Biochem. 2011. 112(11):3073-8. *Invited review
- Roddy GW, Oh JY, Lee RH, Bartosh TJ, Ylostalo J, Coble K, Rosa RH Jr, Prockop DJ.Action at a Distance: Systemically Administered Adult Stem/Progenitor Cells (MSCs) Reduce Inflammatory Damage to the Cornea Without Engraftment and Primarily by Secretion of TSG-6. Stem Cells. 2011. 29(10):1572-9.
- Foraker JE, Oh JY, Ylostalo J, Lee RH, Watanabe J, Prockop DJ. Cross-Talk between Human Mesenchymal Stem/Progenitor Cells (MSCs) and Rat Hippocampal Slices in LPS-Stimulated Cocultures: The MSCs Are Activated to Secrete Prostaglandin E2. J Neurochem. 2011. 119(5):1052- 63.
- Roddy GW, Rosa RH Jr, Oh JY, Ylostalo JH, Bartosh TJ Jr, Choi H, Lee RH, Yasumura D, Ahern K, Nielsen G, Matthes MT, LaVail MM, Prockop DJ. Stanniocalcin-1 rescued photoreceptor degeneration in two rat models of inherited retinal degeneration. Mol Ther. 2012. 20(4):788-97.
- Oh JY, Choi H, Lee RH, Roddy GW, Ylöstalo JH, Wawrousek E, Prockop DJ. Identification of the HSPB4/TLR2/NF-κB axis in macrophage as a therapeutic target for sterile inflammation of the cornea. EMBO Mol Med. 2012. 4(5):435-48.
- Horie M, Choi H, Lee RH, Reger RL, Ylostalo J, Muneta T, Sekiya I, Prockop DJ. Intra-articular injection of human mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) promote rat meniscal regeneration by being activated to express Indian hedgehog that enhances expression of type II collagen. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2012. 20(10):1197-207.
- Oh JY, Lee RH, Yu JM, Ko JH, Lee HJ, Ko AY, Roddy GW, Prockop DJ. Intravenously-infused mesenchymal stem cells promote survival of corneal allografts by suppressing the early inflammatory response. Molecular Therapy. 2012. 20(11):2143-52.
- Lee RH*, Yoon N, Reneau JC and Prockop DJ*. Human MSCs pre-activated with TNF-α exert tumor suppressive effects on some triple negative breast cancer cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2012. 11(6):825-35. * Co-corresponding authors.
- Kota D, Wiggins L, Yoon N and Lee RH*. TSG-6 produced by hMSCs delays the onset of autoimmune diabetes by suppressing Th1 development and enhancing tolerogenicity. Diabetes. 2013. 62:2048-2058. .
- Kim JA, Ko JH, Ko AY, Lee HJ, Kim MK, Wee WR, Lee RH, Fulcher SF, Oh JY. TSG-6 protects corneal endothelium from transcorneal cryoinjury in rabbits. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014. 55(8):4905-12.
- Lee RH*, Yu JM, Fosketta AM, Peltiera G, Reneaua JC, Bazhanova N, Oh JY, and Prockopa DJ*. TSG-6 as a Biomarker to Predict Efficacy of Human Mesenchymal Stem/Progenitor Cells (hMSCs) in Modulating Sterile Inflammation in Vivo. 2014. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014. 111(47):16766- 71.*Co-corresponding authors.
- Zhao, Q., Gregory, C. A., Lee, RH, Reger, R., Qin, L., Hai, B., Park, M. S., Yoon, N., Clough, B., McNeill., E. P., Prockop, D. J. and Liu, F. (2015). MSCs derived from iPSCs with a modified protocol are tumor-tropic but have much less potential to promote tumors than bone marrow MSCs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 112, 530-535.
- Yoon N, Park MS, Peltier GC and Lee RH*. Preactivated human mesenchymal stem/stromal cells in combination with doxorubicin synergistically enhance tumor-suppressive activity in mice. Cytotherapy. 2015. 17(10):1332-41.
- Yoon N, Park MS, Peltier GC and Lee RH*. Activated human mesenchymal stem/stromal cells suppress metastatic features of MDA-MB-231 cells by secreting IFN-β. Under review.