Professor of Industrial Pharmacy
University of Helsinki
- May 1985, Graduated from Alavus High School, Finland
- April 1991, M.Sc. degree in Pharmacy, University of Helsinki, Finland
- November 1995, Ph.D. degree in Pharmaceutical Technology, University of Helsinki, Finland
- December 1997, Docent degree (associate professor) in Pharmaceutical Technology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Prof. Anne Mari Juppo has a chair as Professor in Industrial Pharmacy, PhD (Pharm.), M.Sc. (Pharm.) in University of Helsinki, Faculty of Pharmacy, Division of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology, Formulation and Industrial Pharmacy Unit, Finland. She has a long experience in pharmaceutical formulation development and research both in pharmaceutical industry and in academia. After her M.Sc. degree in 1991 she worked in Orion, Espoo, Finland, in Laboratory of Physics with solid-state and particle characterization of pharmaceutical APIs and drug products in 1992-1995 until she graduated as PhD in 1995 in University of Helsinki and moved to Astra Hässle (later AstraZeneca R&D Mölndal) in Mölndal, Sweden. There she worked with particle technology as Project manager and with solid oral controlled release drug forms during 1996-2006 having positions as Team Manager, Drug Delivery Manager and Principal Scientist in Product Development. In 2001 she attained the Associate Professor degree and in 2003 she was appointed as Adjunct Professor in University of Helsinki. Since 2006 as Professor in Industrial Pharmacy she is responsible of specialization studies for industrial pharmacists working full-time in industry. In addition, she has had a position as Vice Dean being responsible for the Education Affairs within the Faculty in 2011-2013. She has been the member (since 2006) and the Director of Pharmaceutical Solid State Research Cluster (2010-2012) and representative for Sweden (2001-2006) and for Finland (since 2006) in European Federation of Chemical Engineering (EFCE), Working Party on Agglomeration. She has also been a member of the Nordic Board of International Society of Pharmaceutical Engineering (ISPE) 2011-2015 and a member of International Steering Committee of the Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients since 2007. In addition to her 13 years of industrial experience in Pharmaceutical Development, she has 55 scientific publications and 6 patents.
Formulation, characterization and stabilization of biopharmaceuticals, veterinary and pediatric formulations, formulations for elderly, medical devices, industrial pharmacy, regulatory affairs and marketing.
|August 90 –April 92||Assistant teacher||University of Helsinki, Department of Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Technology Division, Helsinki, Finland|
|April 92- October 95||Research Scientist||Laboratory of Physics, Department of Physical Pharmacy, Orion Pharma, Orion Corp., Espoo, Finland.|
|Nov-Dec 1995||Senior Research Scientist||Laboratory of Physics, Department of Physical Pharmacy, Orion Pharma, Orion Corp., Espoo, Finland|
|January 96 –Sept 99||Research Scientist/Project leader||Astra Hässle AB, Pharmaceutical Technology Solids, Mölndal, Sweden.|
|Oct 99- Nov 00||Research Scientist||AstraZeneca R&D Mölndal, Product Development, Formulation II, Mölndal, Sweden.|
|January 2003||Adjunct professor||
Pharmaceutical Product Development, University of
|Dec 2000-Jan 2006||Team Manager/Principal Scientist||AstraZeneca R&D Mölndal, Product Development, Mölndal, Sweden|
|January 2010-Dec 2013||Vice Dean||(Education and Bilingual Matters) of Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Helsinki, Finland|
|Since January 2006||Professor||Industrial Pharmacy, University of Helsinki, Finland|
Honors & Awards
- A.M. Juppo, J. Yliruusi, L. Kervinen and P. Ström, 1992. Determination of size distribution of lactose, glucose and mannitol granules by sieve analysis and laser diffractometry. Int. J. Pharm. 88, 141-149.
- J.P. Mannermaa, E. Muttonen, J. Yliruusi and A. Juppo, 1992. Comparison of different rubber stoppers; The effect of sterilization on the number of particles released. J. Parenteral Sci. Technol. 46, 73-77.
- L. Juslin, A.M. Juppo and J. Yliruusi, 1993. Effect of different relative humidities on the water vapour sorption to theophylline anhydrate and two different alprazolam hydrochloride crystal modifications. Boll. Chim. Farm. 133, 395-400.
- A.M. Juppo and J. Yliruusi, 1994. Effect of amount of granulation liquid on total pore volume and pore size distribution of lactose, glucose and mannitol granules. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 40, 299-309.
- A.M. Juppo, L. Kervinen, J. Yliruusi and E. Kristoffersson, 1995. Compression of lactose, glucose and mannitol granules. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 47, 543-549.
- A.M. Juppo, L. Kervinen and J. Yliruusi, 1995. Skewness and kurtosis values of force-time profiles obtained from compression of lactose, glucose and mannitol granules. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 41 (6) 374-381.
- A.M. Juppo, 1996. Relationship between breaking force and pore structure of lactose, glucose and mannitol tablets. Int. J. Pharm. 127, 95-102.
- A.M. Juppo, 1996. Porosity parameters of lactose, glucose and mannitol tablets obtained by mercury porosimetry. Int. J. Pharm. 129, 1-12.
- A.M. Juppo, 1996. Change in porosity parameters of lactose, glucose and mannitol granules caused by low compression force. Int. J. Pharm. 130, 149-157.
- A.M. Juppo, L. Hellén, V. Pullinen, K. Kalsta, J. Yliruusi and E. Kristoffersson, 1997. Application of mercury porosimetry in evaluation of the extrusion-spheronisation process. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 44, 205-214.
- S. Westermarck, A.M. Juppo, K. Koiranen and J. Yliruusi, 1998. Mercury porosimetry of pharmaceutical powders and granules. J. Porous Materials 5, 77-86.
- S. Westermarck, A.M. Juppo, L. Kervinen and J. Yliruusi, 1998. Pore structure and surface area of mannitol powder, granules and tablets determined with mercury porosimetry and nitrogen adsorption. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 46, 61-68.
- S. Westermarck, A.M. Juppo and J. Yliruusi, 1999. Microcrystalline cellulose and its microstructure in pharmaceutical processing. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 48, 199-206.
- P. Luukkonen, T. Schæfer, L. Hellen, A.M. Juppo and J. Yliruusi, 1999. Rheological characterization of silicified microcrystalline cellulose wet masses using a mixer torque rheometer. Int. J. Pharm. 188, 181-192.
- S. Westermarck, A.M. Juppo and J. Yliruusi, 2000. Mercury porosimetry of mannitol tablets. Pharm. Dev. Technol. 5, 181-188.
- M. Savolainen, C. Khoo, H. Glad, C. Dahlqvist and A.M. Juppo, 2002. Evaluation of controlled release polar lipid microparticles. Int. J. Pharm. 244, 151-161.
- A.M. Juppo, C. Boissier and C. Khoo, 2003. Evaluation of solid dispersion particles prepared with SEDS. Int. J. Pharm. 250, 385-401.
- N. Laitinen and A.M. Juppo, 2003. Measurement of pharmaceutical particles using a time-of-flight particle sizer. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 55, 93-98.
- M Savolainen, J. Herder, C. Khoo, K. Lövqvist, H. Glad, C. Dahlqvist, A.M. Juppo., 2003. Evaluation of controlled release polar lipid-hydrophilic polymer microparticles. Int. J. Pharm. 262, 47-62.
- A. Jørgensen, P. Luukkonen, J. Rantanen, T. Schæfer, A.M. Juppo and J. Yliruusi., 2004. Comparison of torque measurements and NIR spectroscopy in characterisation of wet granulation. J. Pharm Sci. 93, 2232-2243.
- P. Hoppu, K. Jouppila, J. Rantanen, S. Schantz and A.M. Juppo, 2007.Characterisation of blends of paracetamol and citric acid. J. Pharm. Pharmacol, 59, 373-381.
- A. Linna, M. Korhonen, J.-P. Mannermaa, M. Airaksinen, A.M. Juppo, 2008. Developing a tool for the preparation of GMP audit of pharmaceutical contract manufacturer. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm.69, 786-792.
- A. Kartal, M. Björkqvist, V.-P. Lehto, A. Juppo, M. Marvola and M. Säkkinen, 2008. Compatibility of chewing gum excipients with the amino acid L-cysteine and stability of the active substance in directly compressed chewing gum formulation. J Pharm. Pharmacol.60(9):1131-8.
- P. Hoppu, S. Hietala, S. Schantz, A.M. Juppo, 2008. Rheology and molecular mobility of amorphous citric acid and paracetamol blends. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 71, 55-63
- P. Hoppu, J. Virpioja, S. Schantz, A.M. Juppo, 2009. Characterisation of ultrasound extruded and cut citric acid/paracetamol blends. J. Pharm. Sci. 98, 2140-2148.
- S. Schantz, P. Hoppu, A.M. Juppo, 2009. A solid-state NMR study of phase structure, molecular interactions and mobility in blends of citric acid and paracetamol. J. Pharm. Sci. 98, 1862-1870.
- P. Hoppu, A. Grönroos, S. Schantz, A.M. Juppo, 2009. New processing technique for viscous amorphous materials and characterization of their stickiness and deformability.Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 72, 183-188.
- N. Kivikero, M. Murtomaa, B. Ingelbeen, O. Antikainen, E. Räsänen, J-P Mannermaa, A.M. Juppo, 2009. Microscale granulation in a fluid bed powder processor using electrostatic atomisation. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 71, 130-137.
- A. Linna, M. Korhonen, M. Airaksinen, A.M. Juppo, 2010. Experiences of using the GMP audit preparation tool in Pharmaceutical Contract Manufacturer audits. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 36, 632-637.
- V.P. Heljo, K. Jouppila, T. Hatanpää, A. Juppo, 2010. The use of disaccharides in inhibiting enzymatic activity loss and secondary structure changes in freeze-dried β–galactosidase during storage.Pharm. Res. 28, 540-552.
- N. Kivikero, M. Murtomaa, O. Antikainen, J. Hatara, A.M. Juppo, N. Sandler, 2011. Rapid formulation screening with a Multipart Microscale Fluid bed Powder processor.Pharm. Dev.Technol.16(4):358-66.
- V.P. Heljo, A. Nordberg, M. Tenho, T.A.P. Virtanen, K. Jouppila, J. Salonen, S.L. Maunu, A.M. Juppo, 2012.The effect of water plasticization on the molecular mobility and crystallization tendency of amorphous disaccharides, Pharm. Res. 29(10): 2684-2697.
- V.P. Heljo, J. Sainio, A. Shevchenko, N. Kivikero, S. Lakio, A.M. Juppo, 2012. The effect of storage humidity on the physical properties of melibiose monohydrate from two different suppliers. J. Pharm. Sci. 102, 1, 195-203.
- V.P. Heljo, V. Filipe, S. Romeijn, W. Jiskoot, A.M. Juppo, 2013. Stability of rituximab in freeze-dried formulations containing trehalose or melibiose under different relative humidity atmospheres. J. Pharm. Sci. 102, 2, 401-414.
- V.P. Heljo, H. Harju, T.T. Hatanpää, G. Yohannes, A.M. Juppo, 2013. The effect of drying parameters and formulation composition on IgG stability during freeze drying. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm. 102,1, 195-203
- K. Rosenqvist, S. Airaksinen, S.J. Fraser, K.C. Gordon, A. Juppo, 2013. Interaction of bioactive glass with clodronate. Int. J. Pharm. 452, 1-2, 102-107.
- M. Torkko, N. Katajavuori, A. Linna, A.M. Juppo, 2013. Quality KPIs in pharmaceutical and food industry. J. Pharm. Innovation8, 205-211.
- S. Lakio, J. Sainio, V.P. Heljo, T. Ervasti, N. Kivikero, O. Antikainen, A.M. Juppo, 2013. The tableting properties of melibiose. Int. J. Pharm. 456, 2, 528-535.
- M. Torkko, N. Katajavuori, A. Linna, A.M. Juppo, 2014.The utilization of quality KPIs in the pharmaceutical industry. J. Pharm. Innovation. 9, 175-182.
- J. Hautala, S. Airaksinen, N. Naukkarinen, S. Savolainen, O. Vainio, A. Juppo, 2014. Evaluation of new flavors for feline mini-tablet formulations. J. Excipients and Food Chem. 5 (2) 81-99.
- K. Rosenqvist, S. Airaksinen, M. Vehkamäki, A.M. Juppo, 2014. Evaluating optimal combination of clodronate and bioactive glass for dental application. Int. J. Pharm. 468, 1-2, 112-120.
- M. Matikainen, H. Terho, E. Matikainen, P. Parvinen, A. Juppo, 2015.Effective Implementation of Relationship Orientation in New Product Launches. Industrial Marketing Management 45, 35-46
- J. Heiman, F. Tajarobi, B. Gururajan, A. Juppo, S. Abrahmsén-Alami, 2015. Roller compaction of hydrophilic extended release tablets - Combined effects ofprocessing variables and drug/matrix former particle size. AAPS PharmSciTech. 16(2),267-277.
- T. Lipiäinen, M. Peltoniemi, S. Sarkhel, T. Yrjönen, H. Vuorela, A. Urtti, A. Juppo, 2015. Formulation and stability of cytokine therapeutics. J Pharm Sci.104 (2), 307-326
- M. Matikainen, T. Rajalahti, M. Peltoniemi, P. Parvinen, A. Juppo, 2015. Determinants of new product launch success in the Finnish pharmaceutical industry. Accepted in Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation. DOI:10.1007/s12247-015-9216-7
- M. Matikainen, H. Terho, P. Parvinen, A. Juppo, 2015. The role and impact of relationship orientation on new product launch success. Accepted in Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing.
- A. Gummerus, M. Airaksinen, M. Bengtström, A. Juppo, 2015.Outsourcing of regulatory affairs tasks in pharmaceutical companies – why and what?Accepted in Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation.
- S. Savolainen, H. Telkänranta, J. Junnila, J. Hautala, S. Airaksinen, A. Juppo, M. Raekallio, O. Vainio, 2016. A novel set of behavioural indicators for measuring cats’ perceptions of food and pharmaceuticals. Accepted in The Veterinary Journal.
- A K. Hiltunen, M.E. Skogman, K. Rosenqvist, H. Juvonen, P. Ihalainen, J. Peltonen, A. Juppo, A. Fallarero, 2016. Bioactive glass combined with bisphosphonates provides protection against biofilms formed by the periodontal pathogen aggregatibacteractinomycetemcomitans. Accepted in Int. J. Pharm.
- K. Rosenqvist, M. Gürsoy, E. Könönen, U.K. Gürsoy, A.M. Juppo, 2016. Novel bioactive glass – clodronate combination as an adjunctive agent in periodontal maintenance phase. Submitted.
- J. Hautala, J. Heinämäki, S. Hietala, A.M. Juppo, 2016. Development of novel flavoredEudragit E films for feline minitablet coatings. Submitted.
- M. Matikainen, L. Olkkonen, N. Katajavuori, P. Parvinen, A.M. Juppo, 2016. Mutually beneficial collaboration: A qualitative study of physicians’ relationship with the pharmaceutical industry and its reflection in introduction of a new drug. Submitted.
- A.-K. Koskinen, S. Fraser, J.P. Bøtker, V.P. Heljo, J. Barnsley, C. Strachan, K. Gordon, A. Juppo, 2016. Physical stability of freeze-dried isomaltdiastereomer mixtures. Submitted.
- Gummerus, M. Bengtström, M. Airaksinen, A. Juppo, 2016. Values and disadvantages of outsourcing the regulatory affairs tasks in the pharmaceutical industry.Submitted.
- A.M. Juppo, J. Yliruusi and L. Kervinen, 1993. The effect of compression pressure and compression speed on disintegration time and tensile strength of lactose, glucose and mannitol tablets. Pharmaceutical Technology, Tableting Technology, Compression, Vol. 2, Eds. M.H. Rubinstein, J.I. Wells, Ellis Horwood, 129-134.
- A.M. Juppo, 1995. Pore structure of lactose, glucose and mannitol tablets compressed from granules and dependence of breaking force of tablets on porosity parameters studied by mercury porosimetry. Dissertation thesis, University of Helsinki, p. 38.
- A. Larsson, S. Abrahmsen-Alami and A.M. Juppo, 2008. Oral extended-release formulations. In Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Handbook, Production and Processes, Eds. M. Leventhal & S.C. Gad, John Wiley and Sons, 1191-1222.
- M. Peltoniemi, T. Lipiäinen, A. Juppo, 2014. Asparagine, In Rowe RC, Sheskey PJ, Cook WG, Fenton ME (eds), Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients. [online] London: Pharmaceutical Press