Professor of Computer Science
|PhD||1974||Purdue University, Electrical Engineering|
Professor Bharat Bhargava professor of computer science at Purdue University. He is conducting research in security and privacy issues in distributed systems. This involves identity management, secure routing and dealing with malicious hosts, adaptability to attacks, and experimental studies. His recent work involves attack graphs for collaborative attacks. Prof. Bhargava has won five best paper awards in addition to the technical achievement award and golden core award from IEEE, and is a fellow of IEEE. He received Outstanding Instructor Awards from the Purdue chapter of the ACM in 1996 and 1998. He has graduated the largest number of Ph.D students in CS department and is active in supporting/mentoring minority students. In 2003, he was inducted in the Purdue's Book of Great Teachers. He has graduated the largest number of women Ph.D students and the first African American student Ph.D in CS department. He is editor-in-chief of three journals and serves on over ten editorial boards of international journals. Professor Bhargava is the founder of the IEEE Symposium on Reliable and Distributed Systems, IEEE conference on Digital Library, and the ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management. Bhargava has worked extensively at research laboratories of Air Force and Naval. He has successfully completed several Darpa and Navy STTR proposals. Professor Bharat Bhargava professor of computer science at Purdue University. He is conducting research in security and privacy issues in distributed systems. This involves identity management, secure routing and dealing with malicious hosts, adaptability to attacks, and experimental studies. His recent work involves attack graphs for collaborative.
Distributed Database Systems, Experiments in Communications and Networking Software, Secure Mobile Systems, Trust Management, Privacy in Data Access, Collaborative Attacks and Defense in Networks, Multi-media Security
|1973-76||Research Associate (Regenstrief Institute), Department of Medicine, Indiana University|
|1976-78||Assistant Professor, Cleveland State University|
|1978-||summer Visiting Faculty, Stanford University|
|1978-84||Assistant Professor, University of Pittsburgh|
|1984-88||Associate Professor, Purdue University|
|1988-||Professor, Purdue University|
|1991-2012||Summer & Visiting Professor, ETH-Zurich and EPFL-Lausanne, Summer Visiting Fellow at AFRL, Rome NY|
Honors And Awards
- Ranked 13th out of 17000 students in Delhi Higher Secondary examination, 1963.
- Ranked 2nd out of 3500 students in Punjab University state wide examination, 1966.
- Indian National Merit Scholarship, 1963-1969.
- SHELL fellowship, 1969 (Highest award to the best graduate student at Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi).
- WHO'S WHO in Frontiers of Science and Technology.
- Best Research Paper Award, IEEE Data Engineering Conference, 1988.
- Fellow of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- Meritorious Service Certificate from IEEE Computer Society.
- Fellow of Institution of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineers (IETE).
- Outstanding Instructor Award (Purdue ACM Student Chapter), 1996.
- Golden Core Member of IEEE Computer Society.
- Outstanding Instructor Award (Purdue ACM Student Chapter), 1998.
- Technical Achievement Award from IEEE Computer Society, 1999.
- Best idea paper, International Conference on Data Warehouse and Knowledge Management Conference, 2000.
- Inducted in The Book of Great Teachers at Purdue, 2003.
- Seed for Success award by Provost at Purdue, 2005.
- Co-best paper award in Secure Knowledge Management Conference, Buffalo, 2005
- Graduate mentoring award by College of Science and CS, 2009
- Engagement award by College of Science and CS, 2011
- Best paper award in International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communication – (ICACC), 2011, ( Identity Management in Cloud) http://www.cs.purdue.edu/news/5-4-11ICACC.html
- Guest of Honor at Convocation of Chitkara University, Chandigarh, February, 2012
- Bharat Gaurav award, India Friendship Society, 2014
Member Of Professional Organizations
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- Fellow of IEEE, Steering Committee of Technical Committee on Distributed Processing for Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems.
- Association of Computing Machinery.
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon.
- Institution of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineers (IETE).
- Fellow of IETE.
International Activities (Various Years)
- International Conference on High Performance and Grid Computing, Chitkara University, India
- 4th International Workshop on Dependable Network Computing and Mobile Systems (DNCMS 2010) held in conjunction with SRDS 2010, India
- Invited speaker at International Conference on System Integration, Brasilia, November, 2008
- Seminars in Universities of Karlstad, Stockholm, Uppsala, Pierre and Madam Curie, EPFL (2008)
- Visiting Professor in ETH and EPFL and University of Bern in Switzerland (several summers from 1991-2006).
- Seminars in Cambridge, ETH, Technical University of Vienna, University of Klagenfurt, HIIT, Technical University of Berlin, Humboldt University. (2006-2008)
- Chairman of the University's International Education Committee, June 1990-June 1991.
- Invited Speaker, Computer Society of India, DEXA conference, ICDCI conference 1991, 1995, and 1999.
- Member of University Advisory Committee on International Programs, September 1990-June 1991.
- Consultant to University of Indonesia, November 1988-December 1988.
- Invited Professor at Ecole Polytechnique Federal De Lausanne (EPFL), Various years
- Invited Professor at ETH, Zurich, June -August 1991.
- One Day Seminar to Swiss Industry Consortium, Lausanne, 1993.
- Invited Speaker in the International Conference on Intelligent and Cooperative Information Systems, Rotterdam, Netherlands, May 1993.
- One Day seminar at EPFL for Industry and Academics, June 1994.
- Invited Speaker in the International Conference on System Integration, San Paulo, Brazil, August 1994.
- Keynote Speaker in the Sixth International Conference on Databases and Expert Systems, London, September 1995.
- Organizer of a Workshop on Advances in Digital Libraries in the Sixth International Conference on Database and Expert Systems, London, September 1995.
- Invited Professor, University of Klagenfurt, Austria, 1999.
- Establishing Collaborative Program with ETH and EPFL, Switzerland, 2001.
- Seminar in University of Bern and EPFL, 2003.
- Keynote Speaker, International Workshop on Distributed Computing and Internet Technology, Bhubaneswar, India, 2004.
- Keynote speaker, DEXA Workshop on Security and Privacy, Krakow, 2006
- Tutorials on Privacy, Helsinki University and HIIT, 2006
- Colloquia in Humboldt University and ETH, Zurich, 2007
- PolyU's Distinguished Scholar, Hong Kong Polytechnic University 70th Anniversary
- Hosted Ph. D students from University of Bern, Universities in Korea, and Humboldt University, 2008
- L. Othmane, R. Fernando, R. Ranchal, B. Bhargava, E. Bodden, Likely hood of Threats to Connected Vehicles, Submitted to Security and Communication Network
- U. Premarathne, I. Khalil, B. Bhargava, Location-Dependent Disclosure Risk based Access Control in Mobile Collaborative EHR, Submitted to IEEE Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing
- R. Fernando, B. Bhargava: Privacy Preserving Identity Claims with Complex Service Provider Policies, Submitted to IEEE Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing
- N. Ahmed, J. Bryant, M. Linderman, and B. Bhargava, “Peer Assisted Publish and Subscribe Middle ware” International Journal of Business Process Integration and Management Authors ( To appear)
- U. Premarathne, I. Khalil, B. Bhargava, Location Adaptive Persistent Single-Sign-On Access Control for Collaborative Mobile Systems, IEEE Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing (To appear)
- P. Angin and B. Bhargava, "An Agent-based Optimization Framework for Mobile-Cloud Computing" Journal of Wireless Mobile Networks, Ubiquitous Computing, and Dependable Applications (JoWUA) Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 1-17, June 2013.
- L. Yao, T.Gong, J. Fan, B. Bhargava, Research on ARM9-Based Intelligent Immune System for Avoiding Rear-End Collision, Submitted for Publication.
- L. Othmane, P. Angin, H., Weffers, B. Bhargava, Extending the Agile Development Approach to Develop Acceptably Secure Software, IEEE Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing (To appear)
- Y. Zhong, B. Bhargava, P. Angin, Y.Lu, A computational Dynamic Trust Model for User Authorization, , IEEE Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing (To appear)
- Y. Zhong, B. Bhargava, P. Angin, Y.Lu, An authorization Framework Based on Uncertain Evidenec and Dynamic Trust, Submitted for Publication.
- T. Gong, B. Bhargava, Norman O. Ahmed. Novel Secure and Immune Private Routing Protocol in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, (Under Review)
- H. Kim, R. Oliveira, B. Bhargava, J. Song, A Novel Robust Routing Scheme against Rushing Attacks in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, Wireless Personal Communications , Volume 70, Issue 4, pp 1339-1351, ISSN:0929-6212, June 2013.
- L. Ben Othmane, L. Lilien, B. Bhargava, M.Linderman, R. Ranchal, R. Salih. ABTTP: A TTP-based Prototype for Protecting Confidentiality of Sensitive Data with Active Bundles. Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing
- B. Panja, B. Bhargava, S. Pati, D. Paul, L. Lilien, P. Meharia. , Monitoring and Managing Cloud Computing Security using Denial of Service Bandwidth Allowance. Recent Patents on Computer Science, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 73-81, 2013.
- L. Lilien, L.B. Othmane, P. Angin, A. DeCarlo, R. Salih, B. Bhargava. , A Simulation Study of Ad Hoc Networking of UAVs with Opportunistic Resource Utilization Networks. Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Special Issue on Advanced Technologies for Homeland Defense and Security, Volume 38, pp. 3-15, February, 2014.
- L.B. Othmane, H. Weffers, P. Angin, B. Bhargava , A Time-Evolution Model for the Privacy Degree of Information Disseminated in Online Social Networks, International. Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed Systems, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 412-430, 2013.
- T. Gong, B. Bhargava, J. Zhou, M. Azarmi, C. Du , Minimizing collaborative attacks in a real heterogeneous mobile ad hoc network using cooperative immunization model. Computers & Security (Submitted).
- T. Gong, B. Bhargava, Immunizing mobile ad hoc networks against collaborative attacks using cooperative immune model. Security and Communication Networks 6: 58-68 2013.
- P. Angin, B. Bhargava, A Confidence Ranked Co-occurrence Approach for Accurate Object Recognition in Highly Complex Scenes.. Journal of Internet Technology, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 13-19, 2013.
- Can, B. Bhargava: SORT: A Self-ORganizing Trust Model for Peer-to-Peer Systems. IEEE Trans. Dependable and Secure. Computing. 10(1): 14-27, 2013
- T. Shon, A. Vasilakos, B. Bhargava, I. Stojmenovic, H. Jin, A. Zomaya: Editorial for Special Issue on "New Technologies and Applications for Wireless Communications & Mobile Cloud Computing". MONET 18(1): 98-102, Feb. 2013
- K. Kumar, J. Liu, Y Lu, B. Bhargava, A Survey of Computation Offloading for Mobile Systems, ACM Springer Mobile Networks and Applications (MONET) Journal, special issue on ACM Mobile computing, Vol. 18, No. 1, 129-140, Feb. 2013
- P. Angin, B. Bhargava. A Confidence Ranked Co-occurrence Approach for Accurate Object Recognition in Highly Complex Scenes. Journal of Internet Technology, 2012
- B. Bhargava, P. Angin, R. Ranchal, R. Sivakumar, A. Sinclair, M. Linderman A Trust based approach for Secure Data Dissemination in Mobile Peer to Peer Network of AVs, International Journal of Next Generation Computing, Vol 3, No. 1, 2012
- N. Idika, B. Bhargava. Extending Attack Graph-Based Security Metrics and Aggregating Their Application. IEEE Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing 9(1): 75-85 2012
- R. Jiang, M. Azarmi, T. Gong, B. Bhargava. Novel Secure and Dynamic Clustering Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks. Elsevier Computers & Security, 2011
- P. Angin, B. Bhargava. Real-time Mobile-Cloud Computing for Context-Aware Blind Navigation. International Journal of Next Generation Computing, Vol 2, No 2, 2011
- Y. Zhang and B. Bhargava. Allocation schemes, Architectures, and Policies for Collaborative Port Scanning Attack. Journal of Emerging Technologies in Web Intelligence, Vol 3, No 2 (2011), 154-167, May 2011 doi:10.4304/jetwi.3.2.154-167
- Shirsat and B. Bhargava. Local geometric algorithm for hole boundary. Security and Communication Networks 2010. Wiley Online Library. DOI: 10.1002/sec.271; 3:1–10
- Y. Lu and B. Bhargava. ‘’SAGA: Self-Adjusting Congestion Avoidance Routing Protocol for Ad Hoc Networks”, In International Journal of Next-Generation Computing (IJNGC), Vol. 1, No 1, 124-144, 2010
- L. Lilien, A. Bhargava, and B. Bhargava, “A Road from Fraud Vulnerabilities and Threats to Fraud Avoidance and Tolerance’”, IPSI internal Journal on Emerging Technologies, 2009
- B. Bhargava, Y. Zhang, N. Idika, L. Lilien, M. Azarmi, “Collaborative Attacks in WiMAX Networks”, Wiley Journal on Security and Communication Networks, 2(5): 373-391 (2009)
- Y. Zhang and B. Bhargava, Self-Learning Disk Scheduling, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 1, 50-65, 2009
- S. Mohanty and B. Bhargava, Invisible Watermarking Based on Creation and Robust Insertion-Extraction of Image Adaptive Watermarks, ACM Transaction on Multimedia Computing, Communication and Applications (ACM TOMCCAP), Vol. 5, No. 2, 1-24, 2008
- W. Wang, J. Kong, B. Bhargava, and M. Gerla, Visualisation of Wormholes in Underwater Sensor Networks: A Distributed Approach, Int. Journal of Security and Networks, Vol. 3, No. 1, 10-23, 2008
- B. Panja, S. Madria, B. Bhargava, “Energy and Communication Efficient Group Key Management Protocol for Hierarchical Sensor Networks'', International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Vol. 3, No. 2, 201-223, 2007
- B. Panja, S. Madria, B. Bhargava: A Role-based Access in a Hierarchical Sensor Network Architecture to provide Multilevel Security. Computer Communications 31(4): 793-806 (2008)
- M. Jenamani, Y. Zhong, and B. Bhargava. “Cheating in Online Auction: Towards Explaining the Popularity of English Auction,” Journal of Electronic Commerce Research and Applications (ECRA), Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 53-62, 2007.
- S. Li, G. Chen, A. Cheung, B. Bhargava, “On the Design of Perceptual MPEG-Video Encryption Algorithms”, in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and System for Video Technology, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp 214-223, 2007
- Y. Lu, W. Wang, D. Xu, and B. Bhargava. “Trust based Privacy Preservation in Peer to Peer Data Sharing,” IEEE Transaction on Systems Man and Cybernetics (Special issues based on best papers in Secure Knowledge Management Conference), Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 498-502, 2006
- L. Lilien and B. Bhargava. “A Scheme for Privacy Preserving Data Dissemination,” IEEE Transaction on Systems Man and Cybernetics (Special issues based on best papers in Secure Knowledge Management Conference), Vol. 36, No.3, pp. 502-506, 2006
- G. Ding, Z Sahinoglu, P Orlik, J Zhang, and B Bhargava , “Tree-Based Data Broadcast in IEEE 802.15.4 and ZigBee Networks” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 5(11):1561-1574, November, 2006.
- W. Wang, B. Bhargava, Y. Lu, and X. Wu. “Defending against Wormhole Attacks in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks”, Wiley Journal on Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, pp. 483-503, 2006.
- X. Wu, B. Mukherjee, and B. Bhargava. “A Crossing-tier Location Update/Paging Scheme in Hierarchical Cellular Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications , Vol. 4, No. 5, pp. 839-848, 2006.
- G. Ding, X Wu, and B. Bhargava “Performance Evaluation of Multi-Rate Mobile Ad Hoc Networks” International Journal of Performance Evaluation, 63 (11): 1110-1126, 2006
- B. Bhargava, M. Jenamani, and Y. Zhong, "Counteracting Shill Bidding in online English Auction", International Journal of Cooperative Information Systems, Vol. 14, pp. 245-263, 2005
- M. Hefeeda, A. Habib, D. Xu, B. Bhargava, and B. Botev. “CollectCast: A Peer-to-Peer Service for Media Streaming,” ACM/Springer Multimedia Systems Journal, Vol. 11(1) pp. 68-81 (2005)
- A. Habib, D. Xu, M. Atallah, and B. Bhargava. “A Tree-Based Forward Digest Protocol to Verify Data Integrity in Distributed Media Streaming,” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge & Data Engineering (TKDE), Vol. 17(7), pp.1010-1014, July 2005.
- X. Wu and B. Bhargava. “AO2P: Ad hoc On-demand Position-based Private Routing Protocol,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 4(4), pp. 335-348, July, 2005.
- B. Bhargava, S. Wang, M. Khan, and A. Habib. “Multimedia Data Transmission and Control using Active Networks,”, Journal of Computer Communications (Special Issue on Activated and Programmable Internet), 28(6):623-639, 2005.
- A Habib, S. Fahmy, and B. Bhargava. “On Monitoring and Controlling QoS Network Domains,” ACM/Wiley International Journal of Network Management, (15)1, January-February, 2005.