Assistant Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Stanford, California, USA
|2014-2015||Critical Care Cardiology, Stanford University, Palo Alto|
|2013-2014||Advanced Heart Failure and Transplantation, University of California, Los Angeles|
|2012-2013||Chief of Cardiology House Staff/ Chief Fellow, Cardiovascular Fellowship, Chicago Medical School/ Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science|
|2010-2012||Cardiovascular Fellowship, Chicago Medical School/ Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science|
|2009-2010||Cardiology Non-Invasive Imaging Fellowship, Dept. of Cardiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Chicago|
|2008-2009||Chief of House Staff/ Chief Resident, Internal Medicine Residency program, Chicago Medical School/ Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science|
|2005-2008||Internal Medicine Residency, Chicago Medical School/ Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science|
|2002-2005||Masters in Public Health (Epidemiology & Health Behavior) California State University, Northridge, GPA 3.9/4.0|
|2001-2002||Internship, Dept of Cardiology, SBS Hospital, Chennai, India|
|2000-2001||Resident, Dept of Medicine Stanley Hospital, Chennai, India|
|1994-2000||Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Dr. MGR University of Health Sciences, India|
Dr. Adigopula is an Advanced Heart Failure Cardiologist, Director of Heart Failure at Regional Medical Center and Assistant Professor in the Division of Cardiology at Loma Linda University. He completed his training at Stanford University and University of California at Los Angeles. He has authored many important papers and book chapters. He has published in prestigious medical journals including New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Circulation, American Heart Journal, American Journal of Cardiology, Journal of American Society of Echocardiography and International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging. He has received many national and international awards, recognition and grants for his clinical and research work. He has presented his research in many national and international Cardiology conferences. He serves on the Editorial board of many peer-reviewed medical journals. He is dedicated to academics, teaching, patient care, research in advance heart failure and advancement in medicine. He is a member of American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology, International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation, American Society of Echocardiography, Heart Failure Society of America, American Society of Nuclear Medicine and American Medical Association. He is a Fellow in the American College of Cardiology and the American College of Physicians. His research interest includes stem cell therapy in heart failure and clinical outcomes in advanced heart failure.
- Cardiovascular Imaging
- Advanced Heart Failure Clinical Outcomes
- Heart Transplantation
- Mechanical Circulatory Support
- Stem cell therapy in Heart Failure
|Assistant Professor||Division of Cardiology, Dept. of Medicine, Banner University, Colorado|
|Assistant Professor||Division of Cardiology, Dept. of Medicine, International Heart Institute, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA|
|Clinical Instructor||Advanced Echocardiography in Critical Care Cardiology, Dept. of Medicine, Stanford University, Palo Alto|
|Clinical Instructor||Division of Cardiology, Ahmanson-UCLA Cardiomyopathy Center Mechanical Circulatory Support/Heart Transplantation University of California, Los Angeles|
|Clinical Instructor||Dept. of Medicine, Chicago Medical School, Rosalind Franklin University of Medical Sciences North Chicago, IL|
|Research Fellow||Dept. of Cardiology, Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL|
|Chief Cardiology Fellow||Dept. of Cardiology, Chicago Medical School, Rosalind Franklin University of Medical Sciences North Chicago, IL|
|Clinical Instructor||Clinical Epidemiology, Essentials of Clinical Reasoning, Chicago Medical School, Rosalind Franklin University North Chicago, IL|
|Course Instructor||ACLS and BLS courses, Mount Sinai Hospital, Chicago, IL|
|Chief of House Staff||Dept. of Internal Medicine, Chicago Medical School, Rosalind Franklin University of Medical Sciences North Chicago, IL|
|Dec 16 – current||Medical Director, Heart Failure Banner Health, Colorado.|
|July 15 – Dec 16||Director, Advanced Heart Failure Regional Medical Center,|
|July 15 – Dec 16||Advanced Heart Failure Cardiologist, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda|
|July 14 – June 15||Cardiac Critical Care Stanford University, Palo Alto|
|July 13 – June 14||Advanced Heart Failure clinics, Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles.|
|July 10 – June 13||Cardiology clinics, Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center, North Chicago|
|July 09 - June 10||Cardiology Heart Failure and Device clinics, Dept. of Cardiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Chicago Cardiology Heart Failure and Device clinics, Dept. of Cardiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Chicago|
|June 08 - June 09||Chief Resident, Internal Medicine Residency program Chicago Medical School|
|July 05 - June 08||Internal Medicine clinics Dr.Stuart Kiken, Access Health System|
|Jan 05 – June 05||Research Scientist, Dr.Medh, Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, California State University, Northridge|
|July 02 - Dec 04||Mathematics Tutor, Dept. of Developmental Science & Math, California State University, Northridge|
Licenses and Certifications
- ABIM, Advanced Heart Failure and Heart Transplantation, Board Certified ABIM, Cardiovascular Medicine, Board Certified.
- Echocardiography Board Certification, Board Eligible (July 2017) Critical Care Medicine (Oct 2017)
- Cardiac Computed Tomography, Board Eligible (Nov 2017) Nuclear Cardiology, Board Eligible (Dec 2017)
- ABIM, American Board of Internal Medicine Certified 288760, Aug 2019 Illinois State Medical License 036-119642, June 2014
- US Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates Certification 0645-9770 American Heart Association Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification
- American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support Certification
- Alpha Omega Alpha (Life Member)
- American College of Cardiology (Fellow/Associate Member) American Heart Association (Fellow/Associate Member) ABIM American Board of Internal Medicine (Certified) American College of Physicians (Fellow)
- Heart Failure Society of America (Fellow/Associate Member)
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (Fellow/Associate Member) American Society of Echocardiography (Fellow/Associate Member)
- American Society of Nuclear Cardiology (Fellow/Associate Member) American Medical Association (Resident Member)
- International Society for Heart Research (Fellow/Associate Member) Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Honor Society (Full Member)
- Indian Medical Association, General Physician’s chapter (Life Member)
Honors and Awards
|Jan 2016||California Community Foundation Grant|
|Nov 2014||Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Honor Society|
|Sep 2014||Heart Failure clinical research award|
|Jul 2014||Vera Moulton Wall Center at Stanford University|
|Jul 2013||Expert Member, UCLA Heart Transplant Team|
|July 2012||Chief Fellow, Cardiology Fellowship, RFUMS|
|Jan 2009||Alpha Omega Alpha, Life Member|
|Jan 2008||Professionalism Award, Rosalind Franklin University of Medical Sciences|
|May 2007||Primary Resident Representative for 2007-2008, CMS/ Rosalind Franklin University of Medical Sciences|
|April 2007||Best Senior Resident on the wards, CMS/ Rosalind Franklin University of Medical Sciences|
|Sep 2006||Peer Elected PGY-2 Representative, RRC site visit to RFUMS|
|June 2003||Best Teaching Assistant for 2003, Department of Developmental Math at California State University|
|Sep 2002||Highest score in the California Written Proficiency exam (12/12) California State University, Northridge|
|Feb 2002||Young Leader Award, Dharmapuri district UNICEF India|
|Jan 2002||Best Outgoing Intern, Stanley Hospital, Chennai, India|
|Jul 2001||Best Graduating Intern Award, Dr.MGR Medical University Chennai, India|
|May 2001||Apollo Hospitals Intercollegiate Annual Medical Quiz contest|
|Jan 2000||Dean’s Award of academic excellence:
Top 5% in a class of 180 students
|May 1999||Gold Medal, Medicine, Dr. MGR University of Health Sciences|
|Jan 1999||Winner, Tamilnadu State Association of General Physicians Quiz|
|Aug 1997||Runner up, Tamilnadu State Association of Pediatricians Quiz|
|Apr 1994||Government of Tamilnadu State Merit scholarship|
|APR 1992||President, St. Joseph High School|
- N Htet, J Vaughn, S Adigopula, E Hennessey, F Mihm. Needle-guided ultrasound technique for axillary artery catheter placement in critically ill patients: a case series and technique description. Journal of Critical Care (Accepted, April 2017).
- Shenoy S, Adigopula S, Lankala S, Shetty S. Cardiovascular Oncologic Emergencies. Cardiology Journal (Accepted for submission, March 2017)
- Neeki MM, Kulczycki M, Toy J, Dong F, Lee C, Borger R, Adigopula S. Frequency of Methamphetamine Use as a Major Contributor Toward the Severity of Cardiomyopathy in Adults ≤50 Years. American Journal of Cardiology. 2016 May 29 PMID: 27374605
- Adigopula S, Nsair A. Left Main Coronary Artery Stent Migration. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015 Nov 12;373(20):1957. PMID: 26559574
- Amsallem M, Sternbach JM, Adigopula S, Kobayashi Y, Vu TA, Zamanian R, Liang D, Dhillon G, Schnittger I, McConnell MV, Haddad F. Addressing the Controversy of Estimating Pulmonary Arterial Pressure by Echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015 Dec 11 PMID: 26691401
- Adigopula S, Tuzovic M, Amsallem M, Kobayashi Y, Kadoch M, Boulate D, Krishnan G, Liang D, Schnittger I, Fleischmann D, McConnell MV, Haddad F. Regional right ventricular dysfunction in acute pulmonary embolism: relationship with clot burden and biomarker profile. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015 Oct 1. PMID:26428674
- Almeida SO, Skelton RJ, Adigopula S, Ardehali R. Arrhythmia in stem cell transplantation. Card Electrophysiol Clin. 2015 Jun;7(2):357-70.PMID: 26002399
- Adigopula S, Shenoy S. Management of Cardiovascular emergencies in Oncology patients. American Journal of Medicine 2016 June (submitted)
- Adigopula S, Vivo R, Depasquale E, Nsair A, Deng M. Management of ACCF/AHA Stage C Heart Failure. Cardiology Clinics. 2014 Feb; 32 (1): 73-93 PMID: 24286580
- Shenoy S, Lankala S, Adigopula S. Management of Calcium Channel Blocker Overdoses. J Hosp Med. 2014 Oct;9(10):663-8 PMID: 25066023
- Balamuthusamy S, Adigopula S, Verma M, Smith E. Cardiac Troponin I has Decreased Utility for Diagnosing Obstructive Coronary Artery Disease in Renal Failure patients with Sub optimal Blood Pressure Control. Journal of Clinical Hypertension. 2007 May; 9(5): 312-314.
- Balamuthusamy S, Molnar J, Adigopula S, Arora R. Comparative analysis of beta-blockers with other antihypertensive agents on cardiovascular outcomes in hypertensive patients with diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis.. American Journal of Therapeutics. 2009 Mar; 16(2): 133-142. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 19145207.
- Balamuthusamy S, Srinivasan L, Verma M, Adigopula S, Jalandhara N, Hathiwala S, Smith E. Renin angiotensin system blockade and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with chronic kidney disease and proteinuria: a meta-analysis. American Heart Journal. 2008 May; 155(5): 791-805. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 18440325.
- Kodumuri V, Adigopula S, Singh P, Swaminathan P, Arora R, Khosla S. Comparison of low molecular weight heparin with unfractionated heparin during percutaneous coronary interventions: a meta-analysis. American Journal of Therapeutics. 2011 May; 18(3): 180-189. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 20027109.
- Nagajothi N, Adigopula S, Balamuthusamy S, Velazquez-Cecena JL, Raghunathan K, Khraisat A, Singh S, Molnar J, Khosla S, Benatar D.. Pioglitazone and the Risk of Myocardial Infarction and Other Major Adverse Cardiac Events: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized, Controlled Trials. American Journal of Therapeutics. 2008 Nov; 15(6): 506-511. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 19127132.
- Saha S, Adigopula S, Nagajothi N, Trivedi A. Prevalence of pseudo hypertension in patients referred for cardiac catheterization at an inner city teaching hospital. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension. 2006 May; 8(5): 124-126.
- Singh M, Adigopula S, Ahmad N, Arora R, Khosla S. P2Y12 receptor antagonists in acute coronary syndrome: clinical implications of pharmacologic and pharmacogenetic differences.. Recent Patents on Cardiovascular Drug Discovery. 2011 Sep; 6(3): 207-214. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 21861826.
- Singh M, Adigopula S, Patel P, Kiran K, Khosla S. Recent advances in oral anticoagulation for atrial fibrillation. Therapeutic Advances in Cardiovascular Diseases. 2010 Dec; 4(6): 395-407. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 20965952.
- Singh P, Singh M, Bedi U, Adigopula S, Singh S, Kodumuri V, Molnar J, Ahmed A, Arora R, Khosla S. Outcomes of Nonemergent Percutaneous Coronary Intervention With and Without On-site Surgical Backup: A Meta-Analysis. American Journal of Therapeutics. 2011 Mar; 18(2): 22-28. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 19918168.
- Singh PP, Arora R, Adigopula S, Molnar J, Khosla S. Safety and Efficacy of Prolonged Use of Unfractionated Heparin After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. American Journal of Therapeutics. 2010 Dec; 17(6): 535-542. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 19770793.