Assistant Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Emory University School of Medicine
- 1997 BA Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- 2001 MD University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY
|2001-2002||Intern, General Surgery||University of South Florida School of Medicine, Tampa, FL, Richard Karl, MD|
|2002-2007||Resident, General Surgery||University of South Florida School of Medicine, Tampa, FL, Richard Karl, MD|
|2004-2006||Research Resident|| University of South Florida School of Medicine,
Tampa, FL, Richard Karl, MD
|2007-2008||Chief Resident|| University of South Florida School of Medicine,
General Surgery, Tampa, FL, Richard Karl, MD
|2008-2011||Fellowship|| Emory University Division of Cardiothoracic
Surgery, Atlanta, GA, Robert Guyton, MD
Dr. Keeling was an assistant professor of surgery at University of Louisville School of Medicine and an attending at University Cardiothoracic Surgical Associates. He earned his medical degree at the University of Louisville in 2001, did his general surgery residency at the University of South Florida School of Medicine from 2001-2008, and completed his cardiothoracic surgery fellowship at Emory in 2011. Dr. Keeling will direct the cardiothoracic surgery program at Grady Memorial Hospital. His clinical interests include valve repair and thoracic aortic pathology, and his research focuses on targeted clinical investigations of adult cardiac surgical sub-populations.
- Transcatheter valve technologies
- Minimally invasive valve surgery
- Adult aortic pathophysiology and surgery
- Minimally invasive CABG
- Targeted clinical investigations of adult cardiac surgical sub-populations
|2013 - Present||Assistant Professor of Surgery||Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine|
|2011-2012||Assistant Professor of Surgery||University of Louisville School of Medicine|
|2012-2013||Private Practice, Billings, MT|
Editorships and Editorial Boards:
- 2008-2010 CTSNet Residents Section
- 2014-present International Editorial Board, Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Maxey TS, Keeling WB.Another Piece in the Puzzle.Crit Care. 2005 Feb; 9(1):27-28.
- Stone PA, Armstrong PA, Bandyk DF, Keeling WB, Flaherty SK, Shames ML, Johnson BL, Back MR. The value of duplex surveillance after open and endovascular popliteal aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg.2005 Jun;41(6):936-941.
- Blazick E, Keeling WB, Armstrong P, Letson D, Back M.Pseudoaneurysm of the superficial femoral artery associated with osteochondroma-a case report. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2005 Jul-Aug;39(4):355-358.
- Keeling WB, Haines K, Stone PA, Armstrong PA, Murr MM, Shames ML. Current indications for preoperative inferior vena cava filter insertion in patients undergoing surgery for morbid obesity. Obes Surg. 2005 Aug;15(7):1009-1012.
- Stone PA, Back MR, Armstrong PA, Flaherty SK, Keeling WB, Johnson BL, Shames ML, Bandyk DF. Midfoot Amputations Expand Limb Salvage Rates for Diabetic Foot Infections. Ann Vasc Surg. 2005 Nov;19(6):805-811.
- Maxey TS, Keeling WB,Sommers KE. Surgical alternatives for the palliation of heart failure: a prospectus. J Card Fail. 2005 Dec;11(9):670-676.
- Keeling WB, Armstrong PA, Stone PA, Bandyk DF, Shames ML. An overview of matrix metalloproteinases in the pathogenesis and treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms.Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2005 Nov-Dec;39(6):457-464.
- Keeling WB, Osborne D, Luckey N, Rakita S, Zervos EE. Bleeding Gastric Varices and a Mesenteric Fibroma in a Gravid Patient.Surg Rounds. 2006 Mar;29(3):117
- Maxey TS, Fernandez LG, Reece TB, Keeling WB, Kron IL, Laubach VE. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase is essential for postpneumonectomy compensatory vasodilation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006 Apr;81(4):1234-1238.
- Maxey TS, Bradner MW, Reece TB, Keeling WB, Kron IL.Coarctation of a right aortic arch. J Card Surg. 2006 May-Jun;21(3):261-263.
- Keeling WB, Garrett JR, Vohra N, Maxey TS, Blazick E, Sommers KE. Bedside modified Clagett procedure for empyema after pulmonary resection. Am Surg. 2006 Jul;72(7):627-630.
- Keeling WB, Stone PA, Armstrong PA, Kearney H, Klepczyk L, Blazick E, Back MR, Johnson BL, Bandyk DF, Shames ML. Increasing endovascular intervention for claudication: impact on vascular surgery resident training.J EndovascTher. 2006 Jul-Aug;13(4):507-513.
- Stone PA, Armstrong PA, Bandyk DF, Keeling WB, Flaherty SK, Shames ML, Johnson BL, Back MR. Duplex ultrasound criteria for femorofemoral bypass revision. J Vasc Surg. 2006 Sep;44(3):496-501.
- Keeling WB, Armstrong PA, Stone PA, Zweibel BR, Kudryk BT, Johnson BL, Back MR, Bandyk DF, Shames ML. Risk factors for recurrent hemorrhage after successful mesenteric arterial embolization. Am Surg. 2006 Sep;72(9):802-6; discussion 806-807.
- Keeling WB, Lewis V, Blazick E, Maxey TS, Garrett JR, Sommers KE. Routine Evaluation for Aspiration Following Thoracotomy for Pulmonary Resection. Ann Thorac Surg. Ann Thorac Surg. 2007 Jan;83(1):193-196.
- Keeling WB, Shames ML, Stone PA, Armstrong PA, Johnson BL, Back MR, Bandyk DF. Plaque excision with the Silverhawk catheter: Early results in patients with claudication or critical limb ischemia. J Vasc Surg. 2007 Jan;45(1):25-31.
- Keeling WB, Maxey TS, Sayad D, Martini N, Blazick E, Sommers KE. A novel stentless mitral valve.SurgInnov. 2007 Mar;14(1):9-11.
- Keeling WB, Hackmann AE, Colter ME, Stone PA, Johnson BL, Back MR, Bandyk DF, Shames ML. MF-tricyclic inhibits growth of experimental abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Surg Res. 2007 Aug;141(2):192-195.
- Klepczyk L, Keeling WB, Stone PA, Shames ML. Superior mesenteric artery stent fracture producing stenosis and recurrent chronic mesenteric ischemia: case report. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2008 Feb-Mar;42(1):79-81.
- Roland SK, Keeling WB, Gunasekaran S, Shapiro DH. Is it safe to eat sushi? Bowel obstruction related to anisakiasis. Surg Rounds. 2008 March; 31(3):105-108.
- Keeling WB, Stone PA, Klotch DW, Johnson BL, Shames ML. Ring around the carotid: an illustration of the surgical approach to the high carotid artery injury. J Trauma. 2008 Sep;65(3):E28-31.
- Keeling WB, Myers AR, Stone PA, Heller L, Widen R, Back MR, Johnson BL, Bandyk DF, Shames ML. Regional Antibiotic Delivery for the Treatment of Experimental Prosthetic Graft Infections. J Surg Res. 2009 Dec;157(2):223-226. Epub 2008 Aug 14.
- Keeling WB, Kerendi F, Chen EP.Total Aortic Arch Replacement for the Treatment of Kommerell’s Diverticulum in a Jehovah’s Witness.Journal of Cardiac Surgery. J Card Surg. 2010 May;25(3):333-335. Epub 2010 Mar 11.
- Keeling WB, Hernandez JM, Lewis V, Czapla M, Zhu W, Garrett JR, Sommers KE. Increased Age is an Independent Risk Factor for Radiographic Aspiration and Laryngeal Penetration Following Thoracotomy for Pulmonary Resection. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. J ThoracCardiovasc Surg. 2010 May 26.
- Keeling WB, Miller DL, Lam GT, Kilgo P, Miller JI, Mansour KA, Force SD. Low Mortality After Treatment for Esophageal Perforation: A Single-Center Experience. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010 Nov;90(5):1669-1673; discussion 1673.
- Keeling WB, Halkos ME, Puskas JD. Management of Patients with a Calcified Aorta or Low Ejection Fraction Undergoing Multi-Vessel Coronary Revascularization.SeminThoracCardiovasc Surg. 2010 Autumn;22(3):250-252.
- Thourani VH, Keeling WB, Guyton RA, Dara A, Hurst SD, Lattouf OM. Outcomes of off-pump aortic valve bypass surgery for the relief of aortic stenosis in adults. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Jan;91(1):131-136.
- Thourani VH, Sarin EL, Keeling WB, Kilgo PD, Guyton RA, Dara AB, Puskas JD, Chen EP, Cooper WA, Vega JD, Morris CD, Lattouf OM. Long-Term Survival for Patients with Preoperative Renal Failure Undergoing Bioprosthetic or Mechanical Valve Replacement. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Apr;91(4):1127-1134. Epub 2011 Feb 25.
- Thourani VH, Keeling WB, Kilgo PD, Puskas JD, Lattouf OM, Chen EP, Guyton RA. The impact of body mass index on morbidity and short- and long-term mortality in cardiac valvular surgery.J ThoracCardiovasc Surg. 2011 Mar 28.
- Padala M, Keeling WB, Guyton RA, Thourani VH. Innovations in therapies for heart valve disease. Circ J. 2011 Apr 25;75(5):1028-1041. Epub 2011 Apr 9.
- Thourani VH, Keeling WB, Sarin EL, Guyton RA, Kilgo PD, Dara AB, Puskas JD, Chen EP, Cooper WA, Vega JD, Morris CD, Halkos ME, Lattouf OM. Impact of Preoperative Renal Dysfunction on Long-Term Survival for Patients Undergoing Aortic Valve Replacement. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Apr 30.
- Keeling WB, Leshnower BG, Thourani VH, Kilgo PS, Chen EP. Outcomes following redo sternotomy for aortic surgery. Interact CardiovascThorac Surg. 2012 Apr 3.
- Keeling WB, Kilgo PD, Puskas JD, Halkos ME, Lattouf OM, Guyton RA, Thourani VH. Off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting attenuates morbidity and mortality for patients with low and high body mass index. J ThoracCardiovasc Surg. 2012 Oct 16.
- Fensterer TF, Keeling WB, Patibandla PK, Pushpakumar S, Perez-Abadia G, Bauer P, Soni CV, Anderson GL, Maldonado C. Stabilizing endothelium of donor hearts with fusogenic liposomes reduces myocardial injury and dysfunction. J Surg Res. 2012 Oct 30.
- Keeling WB, Williams ML, Slaughter MS, Zhao Y, Puskas JD. Off-Pump and On-Pump Coronary Revascularization in Patients with Low Ejection Fraction: A Report from the STS National Database. Ann Thorac Surg. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013 Jul;96(1):83-88: discussion 88-89.
- Keeling WB, Binongo J, Sarin EL, Leshnower BG, Chen EP, Lattouf OM, Thourani VH, Guyton RA, Halkos ME. Predicted Risk of Mortality, Transfusion and Postoperative Outcomes in Isolated Primary Valve Surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. In Press.